smoke in lawnmower

I have a question. I'm new to mowing grass. Today I was mowing my lawn mower and it cut off. I checked the oil and gas. They were both low. So I added more gas and more oil (type 30) and when I started up my lawn mower after walking about 2 yards smoke started coming out of the little round thingy. I guess that is the blower or engine. It has a bunch of holes and is silver and was really hot. Did I add the wrong oil or is there something else wrong? I know I put the oil and gas in the right holes. Did I add too much oil? Can anyone help me? Or is this a problem that I need to take to a shop? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
cece e.

Lawn mowers run on smoke. When the smoke gets out, they stop running.

Reply to
PanHandler

You either added too much oil, or tipped the mower the wrong way at some point. If the latter, it will stop smoking after a few minutes operation. Does it have a dipstick? If so check the oil level - Take the dipstick out, wipe it clean, put it back in all the way, take it out again. Holding it level, the oil line should be between the two lines on the dipstick. The mower should be on a level spot when doing this.

Bob

Bob

Reply to
Bob

The smoke is OK as long as it eventually stops. Let it run for five minutes or so.

Reply to
jtees4

overfilling the oil can do this big time.

check oil level again carefully

Reply to
hallerb

Are you sure you used the right oil? For a 4-cycle engine, 30W would be OK, but if it's a 2-cycle engine with an oil reservioir, that requires a different type of oil that is NOT the same as

30W!

It sounds like you used automotive oil in a 2-cycle engine. Don't just "try it", you'll have to figure out what it needs. Usually there will be a label nearby. Otherwise, ask someone, maybe a neighbor?

With a brand, model, size, etc., it's possible someone here could tell you. Get all the info off the plates you can find and post it here.

Pop`

Reply to
Pop

You trollably put the gas in the oil and oil in the gas tank, Use a match to burn it off

Reply to
m Ransley