any opinon on empire carpet?

just got a quote for $3300 installed of 35 oz carpet with 6 pound padding...4 rooms.

any opinons?

Reply to
bpuharic

Like most home improvement companies (carpet, siding, windows, etc) that rely heavily on advertising, flyers, and cold calls, they are primarily in the business of lending money. The actual product is just to get you into the tent. Expect a high-pressure pitch or assumption that you will be making monthly payments.

Not saying they might not have a good price, but I would definitely get bids from local independents as well.

Reply to
aemeijers

I just don't trust people that market they way they do. I'd rather deal with a local outfit and local installer.

I'm getting rid of carpet in my house, room by room and going to engineered hardwood. Cleaner, healthier.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I had them out to give a bid, I got a local Carpet and Floor guy to use the same product for 1/3 of their rip off price, so they lie. They are not a good deal.

Reply to
ransley

Those tv adds are not free

Reply to
ransley

Carpet is so last century. Go for install-it-yourself laminate. It's cheaper, cleaner, wears longer, doesn't stain, doesn't accumulate debris and odors, and looks better to most people.

If you have to have something fuzzy on your feet in the mornings, furry slippers with rabbit ears can be had for less than ten bucks.

Reply to
HeyBub

Oh, come on! Doesn't everyone buy carpet based on a phone number? 588-2300!

Reply to
Robert Neville

That can be misleading. They will quote a lower price per yard and then find that you need more yards than other companies would say if you called them.

You need to know the price per yard, the number of yards, and the total.

(I don't know if any carptes have "grain" that would require more carpeting if the grain is to match and less if it doesn't.

And OP save your scraps for patches.

Reply to
mm

"mm" wrote

There is another term for it, but yes, there is a "grain" and it should all run the same way. A good carpet guy will know the best layout and may piece a hallway, for instance.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Don't know, but I got a question about a car I'm looking at. Guy wants $3700 for a 4-cylinder with working A/C. The 4 tires look good. Don't know about the spare. What do you think?

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

You mean the good folks who have 60% off? If it is 60% off that means they have been screwing the bejeezus out of people who *didn't* get 60 % off.

I'd trust the government more than them.

Reply to
dadiOH

Laminate sucks. If this is a pre-1975 house, there is a good chance there is hardwood under there. Usually it can be cleaned up and or refinished. If this is a newer house with particle board or something down there, at least go for a laminate with a real wood top layer. That printed woodgrain is SO tacky.

All IMHO, of course. YMMV.

Reply to
aemeijers

Laminate sucks. If this is a pre-1975 house, there is a good chance there is hardwood under there. Usually it can be cleaned up and or refinished. If this is a newer house with particle board or something down there, at least go for a laminate with a real wood top layer. That printed woodgrain is SO tacky.

All IMHO, of course. YMMV.

-------------------------------------

Laminate floors look so cheap and awful and something I;d expect in trailer parks. HOWEVER, if you have kids that play indoors a lot, laminates are actually pretty good for a playroom. they are warm, maintence free and in

12 years when the kids become teenagers, you can tear your cheap ass laminates outta there and put in real floors.

For the record I installed 3 mil oak, engineered hardwood flooring for $1.99 myself this past summer with a 2 mil underlay. Yup floating hardwood floors. Easy as pie. And able to be sanded at least once if not twice.

Reply to
The Henchman

Sounds about like the deal I got with bamboo flooring. Goes down as easy as that cheap laminate stuff.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

Of course, but I was touting laminate as an alternative to carpeting. Of course if the owner is thinking of springing for $3500, he could get his hardwood floors refinished or lay down real-wood laminate as you suggest. If he only wants to spend, say, $400, then the laminate I recommended is the best choice.

Reply to
HeyBub

That's 925 a cylinder, right?

Reply to
mm

Aha. I can inagine a real cheapo place saving a yard or two by putting it down with these things not matching. And I can imagine some, esp. young customers not figuring out what the problem is for months or years.

Contract should say how many yards, and I guess specify that they nap, pile and pattern match. Do conracts from good companies say that?

Reply to
mm

Sounds about like the deal I got with bamboo flooring. Goes down as easy as that cheap laminate stuff.

Jimmie

We came very very close to buying bamboo but the thing that stopped us was that two heavy big dogs with their claws may dig into it too much. Just felt that oak was harder to ding and easier to refinish.

Reply to
The Henchman

cost came out to 28 per sq yd. i cancelled today after visiting lowe's and seeing a better carpet with heavier padding for less money

Reply to
bpuharic

yeah cancelled after looking at what lowe's was offering. better carpet at cheaper price...just have to wait for installer to give me install price

Reply to
bpuharic