Angle grinder for cutting wood

And you would not want your nice sharp chainsaw blade to be anywhere near grit, earth, and any bit of wood with a nasty nail therein;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

I /knew/ someone that happened to :-(

Reply to
Stuart

. That's why you sharpen them regularly.

Oh and as far as kickbacks go, thats why you tend NOT to out your face over the blade: Always you cut soo the swaw will kick over your shoulder.

As pointed out, the mask is not there to stop a saw blade. Flying chips only.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Never mind the "graphic" bits the text is bad enough;!....

"A thorough secondary survey should be performed in the situation of a shattered disc as several anatomical sites may be affected. In particular perineal or scrotal injuries occur if the operator straddles the object being cut and can be missed [2]. Overhead use of angle grinders has been associated with fatal intracranial injury and should be avoided [5]. A number of articles have been published to warn of these specific dangers [6,7]. In order to reduce the risks of injury there are general guidelines about the use of power tools such as checking they are maintained and on the use of protective clothing [7]. Specific guidance on the use of angle grinders is shown in Table 2.

Reply to
tony sayer

What an old boss of mine would term a "slip-up" rather than a mistake :-)

Reply to
stuart noble

Any CSI fans will know that seems to be their tool of choice. Usually for cutting plasterboard to reveal the dead body behind. But never with the foot up against the board.

Strange their walls never seem to have studs...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The daft thing was having done the sum the result felt intuitively wrong

- for starters I expected the rim speed to be lower than that of the AG.

(and hit send before looking at the actual number and realising that the edge would be going supersonic several times over!!)

Still in hindsight - the answer was actually ok, just had the wrong units. It should have been a linear speed of 2686 m/min ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Now those you can get in the US, you lucky people!

(although the blades are cheaper there - $8.50 vs about £12 ($17) here).

Reply to
John Rumm

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "DanG" saying something like:

Know-all f****it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Advertise it as "free firewood, cut it up and haul it away".

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------

john hamilt> Novice has small angle grinder (takes discs 115 mm with central hole

Reply to
spaco

RE: Subject

Glad to see a lot of new partipican from the UK on this thread.

Welcome to the wreck.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I get that- trouble is, there are a lot of branches I need to trim that fall between the thumb-size the rope powered lopper will cut, and the thick ones the sawblade will get a bite on. I don't wanna take the whole side off the tree, I just want to trim away where it rubs the roof and siding, and gets into the TV antenna.

Reply to
aemeijers

Oh. Well, I've gone through some pretty thick branches with the rope powered lopper. I sharpen it frequently and sharpened it when it was brand new. Sometimes it takes a bit of 'chewing'.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Lobby Dosser

Black & Decker Alligator electric "scissor" chainsaw. Looks like a toy, but for anything up to 4" diameter it's a wonderful pruning tool. Best of all it doesn't have any real reaction force (like a normal chainsaw) so you can cut small willow branches overhead when most other saws would simply push them away, or a rope chain saw would just bend them downwards.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's what Andy D mentioned a few posts up this thread - they are very good for pruning etc. Not the same as the other DeWalt Alligator saw mentioned before... just to add to the confusion!

Reply to
John Rumm

Also looked like there might be some issues with them.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

For added confusion, Black and Decker used to sell a two bladed reciprocating saw like the De Walt that was also called "Alligator". They may even have been the same saw rebranded. See e.g.

Alan Braggins

Not too surprising since DeWalt are owned by B&D these days... (as are Elu)

Reply to
John Rumm

Part of the woodcarver's standard arsenal, used in conjunction with a chainsaw. Regular coarse alox grinding wheels won't start a fire.

Reply to
Father Haskell