Amana refrigerator/lights problem

I have a circa 1994 Amana refrigerator freezer, 19 cu. ft. (Model 19), freezer on top.

The lights in the refrigerator compartment won't light, or light *very* intermittently. There are two bulbs, both of which have tested OK, one on either side of the top of the compartment. The freezer light does come on, and the unit's cooling fine.

I don't have a wiring schematic and couldn't find one online. Can anyone provide some (useful) advice? Using a seeing-eye cat to find things in the refrigerator's getting tiresome. ;-)

Thanks,

Marc

Reply to
MrAoD

This is Turtle.

Here is the cure most of the time but just can be the door switch sticking and not popping out when you open the door.

UNPLUG THE REFRIGERATOR. Then unscrew the bulb that is not working and sand the end of the light bulb with some light sand. Then run you a small piece of sand paper in the socket and sand the center post in it in the center and the bottom of socket. If you can pull it back up just a little but not a must. Replace the bulb and screw it back in tightly but don't kill it. THEN PLUG REFRIGERATOR BACK IN. Then see if it works.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hi,

Model#??

model# helps.

Bad switch, loose wire at the socket, bad socket might be suspect. We might pull the socket and check for 110-120 volts AC with a volt meter to the socket as place to start.

Usually one comes with the refrigerator....glued on the back, rolled up beside the controls, rolled up behind the front lower grill are some common places for it.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff