Amana Refrigerator Warm, Freezer Cool

Hi,

I have an Amana stainless French door top/bottom recent vintage refrigerator. Recently the refrigerator stopped coolling, but the freezer seems to be working fine. I have tried cycling the freezer/refrigerator settings all the way to off, which causes a lot of "gear" noise behind the push button panel, then setting both to 5. This causes the compressor to kick on, and I can tell the freezer is working, but the top refrigerator compartment is totally nonresponsive. Any suggestions?

Reply to
tennogo

Doug

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- There's at least a possibility (depending on make and model, etc.) that there is a fan to circulate cooled air into the refrigerator compartment. These fans will sometimes ice over, or even just flat quit, and the fridge gets warm as a result. When the compressor is running, listen inside the fridge compartment. They are usually not too much of a pain to replace.

HTH, Mark

Reply to
Mark Sparge

billmish

Cooling always takes place in the freezer, and it just shares air with the cold food compartment. I doubt your problem has anything to do with your controls. The most common reasons for cooling problems are as follows:

  1. Compressor fan not operating.
  2. Fan at evaporator not operating.
  3. Defrost system malfunction, leading to icing on evaporator coils.
Reply to
nospamtodd

In a Whirlpool it can be as simple as blocking the vent from the freezer to the fridge with a tall box and having it ice up. I would look for the vent in the wall of the fridge (usually in the back near the top) and see if air is coming out when the fan is running..

Reply to
gfretwell