Amana and Bryant's top of the line heatpumps?

Come on. Rheems aren't that bad! I put one in my old house in '92 and it hasn't missed a lick yet.

I think this whole thing with "brand hatred" boils down to what everyone has been saying here for years: It's not the brand, it's the installer: Here me out now:

It boils down to WHO is installing a certain brand. For example: We had a local company run by a low-life druggy (I know. I went to school with him). He worked for a local company and was worthless. Always showed up late. Never could find him when they needed him. They got rid of him. He tried a couple more companies and he never lasted more that 6 months or so. Well, daddy had money, so daddy gave him enough to buy a company that was going out of business. Somehow he became a York dealer. Well, he hired a bunch of his druggy friends (most rejects from other companies) and somehow he managed to stay in business for about 3 years. Put in a lot of equipment........piss-poorly. They just shut down one day and flew the coop. Left a lot of people with warranty work and maintenance contract unfullfilled. That's when we started getting calls to fix their f*ckups. The point I'm trying to make is: Most York units I have worked on were ones this guy installed. Installed WRONG!! So, naturally I got an attitude about York products. They are all CRAP!!! But they probably aren't! It's just that all the ones I had to work on WERE. Same goes with every other brand out there. Even (god help me) Goodmans! If all you see is one brand that a certain lame-ass company in your area installed, you probably are under the impression that all their products a sh*t! True, there are a lot of units out there that ARE cheaply made and look like they'd fall apart if you sneeze (How 'bout them Ducanes??!!!....;-]), but every brand has a "low end line" (or builders grade if you want to call them that).

Does that make sense? I know I'm rambling. I'll shut up now....

;-]

"whatsinaname" wrote in message news:sBYwf.23$ snipped-for-privacy@eagle.america.net...

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

It makes sense, but dont tell me you dont see that many of the same brand units, even the ones I sell, hitting their age now, and showing it.

Reply to
whatsinaname

Years back, Rheem went from a rectangle shape to square that had problem with drainage holes in the heat pumps. The problem only showed up when they were installed directly on the pad, causing the coil to get crushed. If they were raised on blocks, there was no problem. Typical example of a good brand and poor installation. Maybe he doesn't like them because he's the one who installed them wrong.

Technologies,

Reply to
Bob

Or YOU did. I service many Rheems that are over 20 years old, and still running strong, and while, not serving the owners best interest, they dont want to replace them till they have to.

IF you were not so self serving, you would understand that you assume way too much, and from your replys in here, are totally, completely, clueless. Rheems stack as well as Goodmans.

Reply to
whatsinaname

Huh? I'm not sure what you mean....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I've seen some of those old ones that were set right on a cement slab. Over

20 years old. Compressor went (not worth replacing). Pump down the unit and then pick it up to move it and the coil stays on the pad! Whole bottom rusted out!

They're pretty tough cookies now. As I said before, I installed on in my old house (my father-in-law lives there now) back in '92 and it' still going strong. And, yes, there are a lot of them out there still (and Ruuds) that were installed in the mid 80s that are still cranking away.

Haven't seen too many 20 year old Goodmans....

We'll all just have to agree to disagree....;-]

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

that many of the same brand

now, and showing it.

Builders grade York units are dropping like flies in the condos around here.

Reply to
Kathy

Same here...another reason I dont sell builder grade to anyone.

Reply to
whatsinaname

I for one would like a building official to inspect that to insure the Idiot doesn't kill his own or others.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Didn't I say that?

Of course. Goodman and Carrier are in the same chain of corporate structure. But are still somewhat independantly manufactured. In fact Carrier and Goodman are the only units that reach the 95% plus requirement for the new tax break that came into being Jan 1, 2006. Others will soon be there. By the way I see Johnstone supply broke Lennoxs hold on selling lennox parts.

Yes Heil has turned into a white elephant over the last 15 years or longer.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Builder grade anything is short lifespanned and a lot of the time are undernourished to begin with. If your building a new house.. Don't let your general contractor select the HVAC contractor or the the equipment. Most HVAC Contractors that follow tract housing put in shit and are underaid and seldom are there for you when the equipment takes a shit. I can't begin to tell you how many warranty issues I have had to resolve for these assholes that install and run. Someone mentioned Rheem in another post. I ran into a sour newer unit of Rheem. Rheem asked me what I would suggest.. I suggested a complete replacement and that Rheem pay me my normal install fee. They promptly did just that! So I guess their warranty program is Good. Customer is happy and I got paid standard contract price. Customer told me that Original installer charged a lot less and didn't bother with an inspection sticker. Cheaper is not necessarily best./

Reply to
Don Ocean

This is Turtle.

WOW $5K for just a gas furnace ? Hey what part of the Country are they getting that for I'm Moving my business there.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

For him to be bragging about saving 5K like that, he must have gotten some serious gratuitous sex in the process.

Reply to
Noon-Air