Amana and Bryant's top of the line heatpumps?

I noticed that both Amana and Bryant's top of the line heat pumps are less expensive then some of the better known top of line brands. (similar performance specs and major components)

Anyone know if either of their best units are durable?

Reply to
Ted Bunten

Oh, gawd...

Here we go again.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Bryant seems to hold up pretty good, not many Amanas around here.

Reply to
Bob

Brant -> same as Carrier

Amana-> same as Goodman

(Yes, Amana appliances are a different story)

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Bryant is a Carrier... Amana is OK too. It is owned by Janitrol(Goodman) which is in turn owned by ICP(Inter-City-Products). The same folks that own Carrier and Bryant. Amana is a design by itself. and does not fit the Janitrol Profiles. Bryant is just a cheaper priced clone of Carrier. Life span of all are about the same. The Amana line has come out with a new warranty that is great. MidAmerica Energy in Iowa has a $250.00 rebate for anything 92% efficient with an extra $25.00 for every percentage point above 92% efficiency. The Federal Government is also giving a tax break of $150 for all 95% and above efficiencies. To this the Feds are adding another $50.00 for units with variable speed blowers added to the above. So< if your state is with Energy companies Program You can maximize savings with the rebate from the energy company and the taxe deduction for a possible total of $525.00. Not exactly chump change. There are several manufacturers that now have 95% plus units that will fit these requirements.

Reply to
Don Ocean

Reply to
Rusht Limpalless

Only because its the cheapest POS available. I hope the serial number has been run to make sure the unit wasn&#39;t stolen from a job site.

Reply to
Noon-Air

You saved $5K???

We don&#39;t install gas, but we don&#39;t even charge $5K for an oil furnace.

I&#39;m all for saving money. Hopefully you won&#39;t have any problems with it...

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

My thoughts exactly. If he did get estimates that high, then the contractors probably sized him up as being one of those PITA DIY homeowners and gave him a super high price just to make sure they didn&#39;t get the job.

Reply to
Bob

Don,

Amana is owned by Goodman, which got bought be a holding company last year so Mr. Goodman could retire and spend all his money.

Bryant is owned by Carrier. Carrier is owned by United Technologies, which also owns ICP, which owns Tempstar, ComfortMaker, Heil, ArcoAire, etc.

ICP used to be "Inter City Products", changed to "International Comfort Products". They had quality problems, Then Carrier&#39;s Parent bought them. Now ICP means "It&#39;s Carrier&#39;s Problem" :-)

Amana used to be good brand, but I stopped selling them when reliability went doen the tube 10-15 years ago. Local wholesaler dropped the line. Then Goodman bought the company, can&#39;t be a good sign.

Although I would rather have a Goodman than a Heil.

Just my personal, proffessional opinion.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Rusht, Did you buy it off the internet or pick it up extra laying around the job site?

You said both in the same paragraph.

Troll.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

Thanks for helpful comments. Regardless of parent Corp, sometime a companies top of line is good even though low end builder&#39;s grade is junk. Also if there are identical units that are just badged differently, might make sense to get less expensive badge. [understand product backing might be different]

For example, since Bryant owned by Carrier then Bryant&#39;s Evolution HP may be same as Carriers Infinity but at different price.

Agn thanks

Ted

[...]

You also might want to consider Rheem/Ruud if you can find a quality installer in your area. I&#39;ve had excellent luck with them.

Reply to
Bob

I thought there were some differences, but there aren&#39;t. We received quite a few variable speed air handlers this past year that had the Braynt logo on it. Carrier sent us a box of the Carrier ones to replace them (the plastic logo, not the whole air handler).

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I remember when Heil was the workhorse of the industry. Especially the A/C units (the oil furnaces sucked!). Those suckers would never die! Especially those horseshoe shaped ones that you wouldn&#39;t know what logo was on them until you got right up on them. Could be Heil, Monkey Wards, Sears, Whirlpool. Then they came out with the cube shaped ones that turned into rust buckets just like the Goodmans.

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

So have I....got em stacked 4 high 10 deep in the going to salvage yard...

Reply to
whatsinaname

Obviously someone didn&#39;t install them correctly.

Reply to
Bob

So does ANY company make a heatpump that you folks don&#39;t think is junk?

Reply to
Dick

There are certain people on here who have nothing positive to say about anything, and you can disregard what they say. They hate home owners, and will go out of their way to misinform them. If you want to learn who they are, I suggest you start by going to the &#39;alt.hvac&#39; newsgroup and reading the thread entitled "ALT.HVAC KILL FILTER/FILE Rev 1.0.3" Then read some of the posts written by the people listed.

Reply to
Bob

You new at this or what?

You got a crystal ball over there that is telling you why they are replaced?

Obviously, you havent a clue, but then, from your past postings, we will forgive that as you ARE new.

Reply to
whatsinaname