Do I really need Dewalt's top 'o the line planer?

I've looked at the new Dewalt 735 three-knife cutter-head planer, and all the sales guys say it is really the thing to have. But a friend has the 733, which is almost $200 cheaper. He says he has had almost no snipe, and rarely needs to give the boards more than minor sanding.

I've used a planer maybe once in the past 20 years; if YOU were buying a new one next week, and cost was somewhat of a factor, which would you spring for if this were the one you were going to keep for the next 10+ years? What are some of the significant performance differences? Keep in mind I am buying the little Performax 10-20 sander too . . .

Thanks!

Scott

Reply to
Scott

i've got the 733 and wish it would blow up so I could justify getting the 735. The first time you change knives on the 733 you'll be kicking yourself for not getting the 735. As competent as the 733 is, the 735 is a huge improvement over it, especially when it comes to maintenance. Spread out of many years, the price difference is irrelevant.

dave

Scott wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

if you care about "perfect" alignment, than, yes, it's a PITA. Even using the alignment fixtures provided by DeWalt, if you recheck alignment with a dial indicator you'll probably find that the fixtures aren't all that wonderful for aligning the blades. I followed their instructions and can say that the procedure exceeds my patience quotient. I've seen the insides of the 735. It uses self indexing blades. Again, I'm hoping my 733 takes a dump. :)

dave

Anth> Is it really that bad to change the knives on the 733?

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Why not try to sell it? ;-) Some people have more patience than $ & would be glad to get it.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Makita 2012

Reply to
brian roth

Just got back from Woodcraft, where I learned the 734 has the same cutting system as the 735, but lacks the dual speed feed (which the magazine review on display says isn't needed anyways as the regular speed yields great results). Also missing is the little fan that helps control dust/chips. Might you consider saving $100 with the

734? I do agree the 733 blades would likely irritate me at some point!

Cheers,

Scott

Reply to
Scott

My god man... have you ever done a blade change on a delta snipe-master-540? I thought that the 733 was gods gift to blade changes after that.

The Dewalt magnetic jigs worked just fine for me. I have only done the procedure twice, but found it to be relatively quick painless and accurate.

YMMV.

Steve

That said... the 735 does look sweet.

Reply to
Stephen M

I would characterize a 734 is a 733 with 3 knives. The 735 is a radically different design.

Check out the pictures:

Stephen M

First of all, the 733 is discontinued, replaced by the 3-blade 734.

I was in the exact same situation, and bought the 735 when all three models were on the shelf. I bought it for the better design, and the better performance (i.e., 2 speeds vs one, etc...). But more than anything I bought the top of the line so that later I would not be kicking myself for having saved a petty amount of money instead of getting the best machine in its class. Been there, done that, hated every minute of it.

Same here. I try to buy the best.

Besides, have you ever heard anyone say there penis is already beg enough? Nah, I've got plenty and don't need another couple of inches. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

from all of the penis enlargement spam I get you'd think the goal of the average american guy was to be able to sling it over his shoulder.

Reply to
Bridger

If I had the $200, I'd spend for the 735, for the chip ejection and auto locking head.

Otherwise, the 733/734 is an excellent tool.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

|My god man... have you ever done a blade change on a delta snipe-master-540? |I thought that the 733 was gods gift to blade changes after that. | |The Dewalt magnetic jigs worked just fine for me. I have only done the |procedure twice, but found it to be relatively quick painless and accurate.

Well it wasn't quite painless, I cut my finger getting one of the new blades out of the package, but other than that, I had zero problems changing the blades for the first time just a couple of days ago on my

733.

|YMMV. | |Steve | |That said... the 735 does look sweet.

Yep. Tools are getting to be just like computers. You no sooner buy one and the next thing you know there's a new and improved model. Of course, it was the same when I was in the air-to-air and cruise missile business .

Reply to
Wes Stewart

to tell you the truth I don't like selling stuff. I usually throw things out because I have no patience to field phone calls and spend money an ad for something that might not sell. I've had varied success with selling stuff in the newspaper and I'm not an E-bay kinda person. I'm not much for garage sales either, as most folks want things for next to nothing and again, I've not got the patience to sit around on a summer day waiting to make a couple of bucks.

dave

Mark Jerde wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Sounds like I should be thankful I don't have another Delta product! I've got 3, which is 1 more than I care to have.

dave

Stephen M wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I'd gladly do it for ya' for a cut.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Last two big purchases I made were a Unisaw and a Apple PowerBook. It's interesting to do a point-by-point comparison:

Saw Laptop

$1800, free shipping $1600, free shipping I can sit on it It sits in my lap When I do, my butt gets cold It keeps me warm

40 carbide teeth 40 gig disk Will outlast me Will be junk in 3 years
Reply to
Roy Smith

Damn bass players are worse than drummers, they will do anything for a buck.

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, indeed!

I tell my nephew all the time, good bass players are always working, and the chicks think will think it's a guitar!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .