Air Conditioner Brands

I have to replace a very old through-the-wall air conditioner. Based on the room size, I need 11,000 BTUs and I want to continue to use the nearby 110 V plug as opposed to running a new 220V line.

Both GE and LG Electronics make such units. The LG model is significantly l ess expensive. Both makes have good and bad reviews. Does anyone on the gro up have any strong preference on these (or other) brands? I wonder if the c omponents are all made in the same factory in China with different logos st uck on them for the different brands.

Thanks for any input.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Based solely on my own personal experience from purchasing both a 10,000 BTU LG (Sears Kenmore) and a 6,000 BTU GE in the last 2 years I would have to say I prefer the GE. The LG thermostat doesn't always seem to cycle on & off like it should.....YMMV

Reply to
SRN

conditioner. Based on the room size, I need 11,000 BTUs and I want to continue to use the nearby 110V plug as opposed to running a new 220V line.

LG model is significantly less expensive. Both makes have good and bad reviews. Does anyone on the group have any strong preference on these (or other) brands? I wonder if the components are all made in the same factory in China with different logos stuck on them for the different brands.

My wholesale house calls GE "Generally Expensive" cause of the cost of parts. LG can't be much worse.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Based on my experience, that may be the case. For a number of years we used to supply a few parts to a major AC company and I've been in their plany many times. The exact same unit went downt he assembly line, but it could get six different front panels with a different brand name. Some even carried the name of a company that actually went out of business 20 years earlier, but the brand name was bought by someone and still used.

If you can see the two units on display, take a look at the case and if yhou can take a front panel off, see if they both look the same. It would be nice if they were displayed and operating so yhou could judge sound levels, but that never happens.

I'd probably go with low price. Lucky Goldstar makes some decent stuff these days.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've never used either models so I can't help you there. I had Frigidaire and Sharp with great longevity and reliability. Sold the Frigidaires and selling the Sharp since the new central AC install.

Reply to
Meanie