Best suction in home vacuum cleaner?

What's the best vacuum cleaner for home use? Is there one that is known for having better/more powerful suction than others? On another thread here, I see that there is a question about shop vacs. Am I correct in assuming that the advantage of a shop vac would be that it just picks up larger particles, but that it wouldn't necessarily have better suction for fine particles? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Chemqueries

The other aspect of the problem, is how is that suction delivered and how much of the dirt does the vacuum deliver back into the room?

Traditional vacs pull their air through a bag which gets clogged quickly thereby significantly reducing suction. They also send a LOT of dust back into the room since the exhaust air is only filtered by the bag.

Cyclone vacs with Hepa filters solve some of these problems. By locating them in the garage (central vac), the exhausting of dust back into the house is solved completely.

John

Reply to
John

As someone else has already said, if you want the best, get a central system.

Reply to
C G

I have a large CV system with a bag. Suction is tremendous even when the bag is ready to change. Consumer Reports still things there is little point to bagless portable vacs and I think the same may be true for CV vacs despite some manufacturers claims.

"John" for

particles,

particles?

Reply to
Art Begun

I like the Shark. It's a mini, but does it ever suck! They should have called it the Remora. Cute design, weighs maybe 3 lbs, easy to handle, attachments for remote spots. zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Reply to
<00slvgtp

--> What's the best vacuum cleaner for home use? Is there one that is known for

--> having better/more powerful suction than others?

The models from Sharp and from Riccar have measured quite high in suction tests. They're more expensive than models sold at the box stores, and less than some of the boutique brands. They are both substantially more powerful than my Rainbow. Note that vaccum performance seems to be based on a combination of both suction and airflow; I *think* one can make an analogy to amperage and voltage in electricity which together result in wattage. If not, someone can perhaps correct me.

Art

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

"Chemqueries" wrote

They all suck! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Reply to
Steven Black.

No they don't! They reduce atmospheric pressure.

Reply to
tnom

Once you go with central vac, You'll never go back.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

While both are important, but other factors come into play. The agitator brush, adaptation to different carpet pile, ability to clean at the edge make a difference. I don't know how to quantify the differences that would be meaningful to your house. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I suggest a central vac system. I would never go back the old plug in things.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

One thing I've noticed about European agitators is that the bristles are not long or stiff enuf. I have an expensive agitator from Europe similar to Miele's and although it is made very well, a cheaper Hoover Windtunnel widepath does a better job on my carpets with my CV system. The difference is obvious.

particles,

particles?

Reply to
Art Begun

my upright hoover

Reply to
rosie read and post

Get a Lovelace DT. Deepest suction in the business.

Reply to
C G

== I agree. I can't imagine a more powerful vac than my Hoover Powerdrive. It borders on dangerous (seriously). == ==

Reply to
Gini