Air Conditoning Control

I have an in-wall mounted 120 plug-in air conditioner that I want to cotrol through a thermostat. Does anyone know of a block that I can buy that will control the on/off switch between the wall outlet and the air conditioner that will turn the unit on at a given tempreture?

Specificly, I'm wanting to turn the unit on and try to hold a small room at 40-45 degrees to age raw cheeze in.

Alternatively, can a cheap thermostat be "cut" into pigtail between the wall plug and the switch to turn the unit on/off If so how?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Falster

I doubt if it will do it. It might have the BTU capacity, but it would not be designed to cool to that low a temperature.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Not going to happen. You need a true refrigerating system, not an air conditioning system.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

How much cheese, why not room temp. For thousands of years its been done, even in the desert, why even consider the expensive option.

Reply to
m Ransley

A line voltage thermostat would do the trick, IF you can find a stat that can handle the starting current of the a/c unit.

Every window shaker I have seen has a stat inside of them that turns the compressor on and off. Put a thermometer in the space and turn the unit on. Check the space in a couple of hours and adjust the dial accordingly. Keeping the air moving seems like a benefit not a hindrance to me.

Sure hope your window shaker has enough capacity to lower the area down to

40 F. Pretty aggressive concept for a window shaker.
Reply to
SQLit

45 degrees is too low a temp for an air conditioner. you will need to get a refrigeration unit for this purpose. a home air conditioner or room air conditioner is only good for about 68 degrees minimum. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2