Ahhh, who needs stinkin' $1 Piece of Kickout Flashing

Woman thought she just needed some new siding. Told her I thought it was a bit more involved than that. She says there was a small tree there that caused it. I sent her the pics of the grand opening yesterday. Oh you betcha i had the hidden damage bit in the paperwork!

Missing Kickout:

Looks kind of innocent.

Proper kickout:

What it did to the wall below:
That joist header needs some duct tape:

Red Green

You need more than just duct tape for a proper job. Put some aluminum foil and then the tape. You can get a better markup on the job too when you add in the materials.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Great pics. Real convincing for doing it right. Besides duct tape and aluminum foil, mustn't forget a dab of Bondo where it shows...

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote in news:6c36c39e-21af-44e1-8648-42250a347dd1 @l13g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the ack Joe. You and Ed have marketing skills with the aluminum and Bondo stuff.

"But wait! There's More!!"

End of fascia board at gutter end was soft as well as soffit. No surprise but more than I would have thought. Removed gutter and fascia board. Rafter cap got trashed too.

Not because of the missing kickout though. The fascia board was installed too high, above the roof angle plane. The gutter installer took advantage of that to get gutter slope. End of shingles were actually turing up like a ski jump. I'm guessing it led to water running down (because they were turned up) the backside of the end shingles on to the top edge of the fascia board.

One minor correction to original post. Not $1. Step flash piece was 32 cents.

Reply to
Red Green

Ever seen that series on The History Chanel called "Life After People"? Your pictures remind me of it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:hac49m$mpu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Afraid not. Just have freebie digital broadcast. Watch very very little TV at all.

Reply to
Red Green

It's amazing, they use video of abandoned towns like those around Chernobyl to show what happens when buildings are left to nature.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote in news:hafudg$n53$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Well....atoms are nature :-)

Reply to
Red Green

It's incredible what the plant life does to the structures. Tiny seeds get into every little crack and crevasse and basically pry everything apart as they sprout and grow.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

In my experience, nature is a nasty old bitch, and will happily knock down and destroy what you spend years creating. Entropy always wins eventually- life is just one long delaying tactic.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:p8ydnbySlJxLnVHXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

In nature's experience, humans are beeeeeches and will happily knock down and destroy what it spend eons creating.

Reply to
Red Green

Well, Yeah, I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. From mother nature's viewpoint, humans are just a nasty lingering infection. But the bottom line is, Nature WILL win in the end. Perhaps if humankind could figure out how to make it a symbiotic relationship?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:ncGdnYabjZIU0VDXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Everything was fine until a few hundred or so years ago!

Reply to
Red Green