Advice with carport

I am planning on building a carport on the side of my house (backyard) and I would like some advice about that if possible. I'm considering two options in terms of size: 20' x 24' or 24' x 24'. Here

you can find a couple of sketches (they are terrible, sorry!) that hopefully gives an idea of what I'm looking for. I live in the bay area (East Bay more specifically), so no snow, but some windy conditions sometimes.

I will be using Douglas Fir #2, and the roof will be 1/2" plywood, tar paper, and shingles. I'm planning for a slope (as you can see based on the sizes of the 4x6 posts). We already have a concrete base, so I was thinking about using post anchors

for the posts. The sketches don't have any details about the hardware, but yes, planning to use all the expected hardware to attach the whole thing together (post caps, braces, etc, etc).

Can anyone tell me if this is reasonable? Are the wood dimensions enough for the spans?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, T

Reply to
TPCL User20

California code requires a permit for such work, and east bay cities like Fremont, et al. adopt the state codes.

A google search on "fremont carport permit requirements" will likely be helpful (adjust city name as required).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Plus it might be worth your time to check on YouTube.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Take the sketch to the local building code office and see what they think and will allow. They may be able to give you some specifications to meet and design to.

The design has to be approved before you get a permit anyway.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sounds like this project is way over your head. Better call in a pro.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

To add to the advice already given:

The size is up to you, you need to work out what size comfortably fits the vehicles and whatever else you plan to use it for, plus space for free movement.

Are those Y supports for decorative effect? I don't see the Y part at the top adding anything from a structural standpoint., it's just a complication.

The fact that a concrete slab is already there will add to the work, not help you. This is going to need footers and just resting it on the slab isn't sufficient. When you get a building permit, they typically have multiple inspections, wanting to see the hole with sonotube to verify depth before you pour.

Being in bay area CA I would expect that there could be more requirements on this for earthquake survivability than seen in other parts of the country.

If you try to get away with this and have it partially built and the code inspector comes by, maybe because a neighbor called them, you could have big problems. Here in NJ I know of a case where the homeowner was part way through installing a new deck without a permit and the code inspector caught them and they had to tear it up and do over. Like the footer depth verification. Once it's built, if they catch you, the inspector can't just come over, take a look and say it's OK.

You could look online and see if you can find plans to use or modify and use those when you apply for a permit, if that's allowed.

Reply to
trader_4

Nasty neighbours are probably the # 1 culprit -

- but - our building inspector has a habit of taking a tour-of-the-neighbourhood when he is out on a planned inspection - looking for job sites with no permit. I've heard that the building inspector in a nearby town will sometimes follow a concrete truck or lumber yard truck if he sees it delivering to an established subdivision. John T.

Reply to
hubops

The code inspector seeing it while in the area for another inspection is how the case I cited evolved. On the other hand, a good friend of mine lived in a house facing the road that comes to a 4-way intersection with a stop sign. At the time, 30 years ago, the municipal complex was a mile down that road, so you know code guys had to be going by all the time and stopping there facing his house. Code enforcement probably wasn't as robust as it is there today, but still they had code enforcement and building inspectors. So, what did he do? He built a whole new small building, near the house, easily visible. It was two rooms, with electric service and heat pump. He used it for a small recording studio, mostly for his own use. He somehow built that whole thing without a permit or getting caught. And he later sold the property without any problems or questions either. I was amazed that he didn't get caught.

Reply to
trader_4