advice on purchase--miter saw?

I will be starting a project installing both considerable amount of molding in my house. I want to buy a power miter saw for the project. After this I will seldom have any need of the saw. Renting one by the day would cost to much for a diy in spare time job so can any one suggest an econonical saw for the project? S

Reply to
Anonymous

Why don't you get a real nice Dewalt, save all the packaging, and sell it on Ebay when you finish your project? Think of it as a cheap rental.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I think the cheapest and best brand to get would be a Myneighboursdewalt, usually the price is great and if they are like me we never remember who we lend our tools too.

I agreee with buying a decent Dewalt and then reselling on Ebay, Just make sure that it is a comound miter Saw and if you are doing some thick crown molding make it a 12" minimum.

Reply to
HotRod

One other thing to look for a laser on the saw. It can really help when cutting molding.

Reply to
Brian

Dewalt's are nice, but not work the money for the average homeowner.

I purchased a ryobi 12" compound miter saw. It was cheap and works very well. For molding I bought a dewalt 12" 80tooth blade. Makes real clean cuts, just so you dont trash that expensive molding you just purchased. I used the saw so far for just about everything you can imaging and its still working great. (molding, ripping 2x4's, doing siding...)

If money is no object, man would I go for one of those dewalt sliding compound miter saws.....

Reply to
BocesLib

One of the best and easily obtained is the DeWalt. You can buy one and then later sell it for overall less cost than renting.

While I normally do not recommend cheap tools, you can get a Ryobi for about $100. If you do, you may want to consider getting a better blade for it. I have no experience with the original blade so check it out. If the cut is smooth enough, good, but if not a Freud blade is a good bet. In your case, the most important part is accuracy of the cut so you may have to adjust it to get it perfect. Durability is not a factor since it is a one shot deal.

For molding, a 10" is very adequate. You can spend more money for a 12" or a slider and get more capacity, but for you needs, it seems overkill. If you have ideas of putting on a deck in the future, the miter saw will be handy also.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have one of the new 12" DeWalt sliding compound miter saws and stands and love it, though it's a little much to "man Handle" for 75% of the jobs I do. I'm actually considering supplementing with a cheap Ryobi for small less accurate jobs.

Reply to
HotRod

"> > After this I will seldom have any need of the saw. Renting one by the

A couple of posters made accurate statements in context but may confuse you since it sounds like they disagreed.

A 10" blade will cut up to 3 1/4" crown. If you are installing the bigger stuff you need a 12" blade.

A 10" blade will cross cut 1 x 6 or 2 x 6 stock (5 1/2" actual) at 90 degrees.

The maximum on my saw anyway, a 10" blade will allow a you to cut when the board is standing on its edge is a 3 1/4" piece of stock. Think basboard. Actually the new specs seem to say a nominal 4 x 4 so that would be 3 1/2"

No matter what name brand you buy you should be able to recover about the same % when you sell it later if you take care of it and have the packaging.

At Lowes they have a Delta (Model: MS250) for $78 or the Dewalt for 199. I remodeled 4 house and done numerous small jobs with my Delta (36-075). $78 bucks is only 2 days rental.

Happy shopping.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Has anyone just used the old miter box? I'm having the same issue right now about what miter saw to buy for crown molding, but was told that I can only use a 12" saw for molding. I'm not wanting to spend 300 on a saw for doing molding in one room, plus another 50 bucks or so for a blade with enough teeth to not rip up the molding. I'm only doing one room. Has anyone had experience using a simple miter box and miter saw (manual). I figure if the guys used them in 1928, why not spend 20 rather than 350. Any thoughts? Thanks, David

Reply to
Dave

You will develop a firm appreciation for the workmanship in older homes after using a manual miter box.

Most of those joints were coped not mitered.

A decent quality miter saw and box will set you back about $50. I have used one many times and before I did again I would use the $50 at a rental place. If you can't install one room in one day there is a problem.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Agree with those who suggest you borrow one from a neighbor. I've had a professional grade manual mitre box for many years, a Sears Craftsman, and have done many rooms with it, including crown moulding. I figure to rationalize an electric chop saw, I would have to be in the building trade.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

Also ... Never borrow from an optimist. Pessimists never expect it to be returned.

Reply to
PhotoMan

Reply to
nospambob

Miter boxes are dead with todays molding. If you learn the art of copeing corners, thats a different story. Miter boxes were ok for just basic corners, but what happens when they are more than 90 degrees. Putty time I guess.... Or look at it this way, crown molding comes in 45/45 and 52/38 (depending on where you live) If you dont have the corners dialed in right for the type of corner, you just wasted your money (and time).

The miter saw (compound miter is really a min. way to go) is what I would buy. If you want to do ANY work that requires cutting is a pleasure to use.

Buying a good 80 tooth blade sucks but if you want real clean nice corners its the way to go.

If you can't buy it, find a friend. Or if you really have to just rent it.

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

Try Sears (Craftsman) Found this

their website.

I would just go to Sears and see what they have. AND, Sears is REALLY good about taking things back that you aren't happy with for a FULL refund : )

AND, you have NINETY days to be unhappy : )

Reply to
Ron

Many thanks for the above suggestions. I have a bit of time yet before I get to this part of the project so I think I will look and research a bit more. Unfortunately my friends come to me for advice and think a 16 penny nail means one nail costs 16 cents.

Anonymous

The best saw I have used is a nice 12 inch compound slide Dewalt that I borrowed from work, but it does cost quite a few hundred dollars and I got sick of bringing it home whenever I needed it, it's pretty big and heavy. Since most of the work I do is smaller moldings ( and just general cutting of wood for household project..., miter saws are handy to have around) I bought a cheapie 10 inch off brand saw that was $69 at Lowes, on the clearance rack..and it works fine. No, it doesn't have the power of the 12" dewalt or the slide feature, but for 95% of the work it does just as nice a job, and you can't beat the price. Forget using a miter box..it's just not worth the hassle, the first time I tried a miter saw my miter box went on the shelf and stayed there, even the cheapest miter saw with the cheapest blade does a better job than a miter box, and So much easier.

Reply to
Mikey S.

It amazes me how many people think Dewalt is a top of the line Chopsaw. They still make money on refurbished tools if their so great why do they break down so much?

Reply to
rnr_construction

It amazes me how many people think the refurbished tools are refurbished tools.

They sell them that way so they can have a cheap price at the factory outlet stores and not piss off the retailer down the street selling them at full price. The clothing industry has been selling "irregulars" for decades like that. Tools and appliances are called "refurbished" for the same reason.

There are other good brands out there, Bosch, Makita, etc, but DeWalt is still one of the best.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski