Admitted Gas Appliance idiot needs advice/help on broiler

I grew up with electric appliances and I don't know squat about Gas appliances. So I am hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction. We have a stand-alone Gas range/oven. 2 days ago the broiler worked. Last night, it didn't. Stone cold. (my first clue was the raw steak when I went to flip it after 10 minutes). However, the baking part of the oven still works, and the stovetop still works. We did not smell so much as a whiff of gas even tho it was on broil for 10-15 minutes with no ignition.

Sooo...any ideas A) what broke? B) is this a do-it-yourself or hire-someone repair and C) who do you call for gas appliances? The plumber? the gas company? the appliance company?

Thanks in advance :-) if you can, please email me at onebusytwinmom at comcast dot net.

Marilyn

Reply to
onebusytwinmom

Possibly the igniter (glow plug) is bad. This can be a do-it-yourself repair. You can contact your local appliance store for service or parts. Or go to

which has some troubleshooting logic plus parts for sale. If your appliance is 10+ years old, consider replacing it rather than spending the hundred bucks.

Reply to
Phisherman

Just to add to this, the reason you did not smell gas is because the gas did not go on. There is a safeguard in place that prevents the gas valve from opening unless the igniter is glowing and making heat.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

buffalobill