Idiot needs help

Just put 1 Litre of two stoke oil in my car (Ford Ka)-in the oil filler bit . A senior moment. Will this cause any problems.?

Reply to
Rupert (W.Yorkshire)

Probably. Get it out and start again, I would. I assume you were changing the oil otherwise you shouldn't have been able to fit a whole litre in?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

What's a 'senior' person doing driving a Ford Ka?

;-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 08:15:11 +0100, "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot" mused:

Yep.

You'd be surprised, I had a car, X plate, used to fit about 4 litres of oil in every couple of Months, but I do do slightly higher mileage then the average senior Ford Ka driver.

Reply to
Lurch

If you were topping up the oil, a litre seems rather a lot to be putting in at one go. What volume is required is get you from the low mark to the high mark on the dipstick? What is the overall engine oil capacicy? [Your driver's handbook should provide answers to both of these questions.]

Two stroke oil is thinner than normal engine oil, since it's designed to be mixed with the fuel in 2-stroke engines. It won't lubricate a 4-stroke engine as well as 'proper' oil. I would drain *all* the oil out ASAP, and refill with the proper stuff, and change the filter too for good measure. If you don't feel competent to do it, get a garage to do it. Driving round gently with the current mixture won't do too much harm in the short term, but change it as soon as you can.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The OP stated that he'd put 'two stoke oil' into his Ka; now, a Stoke is the measurement of viscosity - is 'two stoke oil' equivalent to 200 cS (centi-Stoke) oil? What viscosity of oil should be inserted into a Ka? Enquiring minds .... he may be trolling ... or perhaps not!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

An interesting theory! I read it as STROKE and believe that was what he meant, even if he wrote STOKE.

I would be very surprised if the viscosity of engine oil was specified in Stokes - or even in Centistokes (cSt) - on the tin, the more usual designation being SAE 10W/30 or whatever.

FWIW, there's an equivalence table at

- from which it can be seen that most 'normal' engine oil has a viscosity of less than 10 cSt - and certainly not 200!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I have had a series of new Rover cars, all of them petrol with steel rims. I gave up checking oil levels, tyre pressures, brake fluid levels and power steering fluids between services. They were so good, that none of them ever dropped below the minimum and I was doing more than 20,000 miles a year.

Going back a few years, I did have some Austin cars that wanted a litre of oil occasionally.

What volume is required is get you from the low mark to the high

Isn't this something akin to the thread a few months ago about putting petrol into a diesel engine car. I think the general consensus was it was OK providing that the ratio was within certain limits.

One litre of oil will not dilute 4 litres that much, surely?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Thanks for all the expert advice which has been absorbed. I meant Stroke not Stoke (not trolling). I will be back with another "c*ck up" soon no doubt:-)

Reply to
Rupert (W.Yorkshire)

If you only do short journeys, it probably won't. If you do long, fast journeys, it might. To put your mind at rest, you should drain all the engine oil and put fresh oil in. If you change the engine oil yourself: It's recommended that you warm the engine up by taking the car on a short (as required) run. Then drain the oil quickly. If a garage does it for you, _insist_ on them warming the engine up first.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Fast journeys - In a Ka ?????

- Steve Lowe

- E-Mail : snipped-for-privacy@usa.net

- Before Replying Remove .NO.SPAM

- UK Resident although my e-mail address is usa.net

Reply to
Steve Lowe

Does Motorail still exist?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Not in the UK. The railways screwed it up, like everything they do.

Reply to
Huge

Don't think so. But 'fast' is relative anyway! If you were to run a 4-stroke lawnmower flat out on 2-stroke oil it wouldn't do it any good! [The 'Ka' always seemed a bit agricultural, to me!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Even the smallest one can exceed the national limit by over 20 mph. They also handle very well so will beat many much more powerful cars on the twisty bits.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)