Plywood sheathing vs asphalt fiberboard

I can't find any info on this on the web.

I will be replacing masonite-like siding on my house with Hardie siding. The original sheathing is a thin (1/8") cardboard covered in foil and will be replaced. Does anyone have any pro/con information on a 1/2" plywood & 15 lb felt paper combo vs 1/2" asphalt fiberboard sheathing? I live in Houston and like the idea of not having wood for the termites and carpenter ants to munch on so I am leaning toward the asphalt sheathing. It also appears to me as a good way to ventilate while keeping the moisture out.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
DD

I'm definitely no expert, but I would use the plywood. The plywood should provide much greater structural rigidity than the fiberboard.

Bill Gill

Reply to
Bill Gill

That is definitely a consideration here as hurricanes do blow through here with high winds from time to time.

Reply to
DD