a scama?

From nextdoor.com

Best buying practice

Pay with cash or secure apps. If a seller asks for you to pay using a gift card, it could be a scam.

Why? I can see if it the buyer wanted to pay with a gift card, it might be a phony gift card, but how would this scam work?

Reply to
micky

If it is a person to person it may be OK once you have the item in hand. If it is an internet purchase you will never see what you think you bought.

You buy a git card. You give the seller the number. It is now his gift card to use and you are screwed. He puts that number in for his Amazon order. you have nothing.

I had a scam call from someone saying they were from Social Security and someone was using my ID. All my money would be lost but they could protect it for me. They asked how much money I had in the bank so I said about a thousand. They told me to buy cards in WalMart and they by giving them the numbers they would protect me from loss.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Mine is from a bank in Israel.

Talk about stupid though. A Dunking Donuts night manager got a call. She was told to take all the bills from the cash registers and the safe and send it Western Union to someone in Mexico. She did. About $3000. I don't know the details but got this from an employee there the day after it happened.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski