A great man

Lincoln, Divided We Stand, on CNN. Not sure how easy it is to find and play these things.

Lincoln has worked for weeks on his inagural speech, one designed to keep the rest of the south from seceding, and to also not antagonize his Republican base.

He was willing to accept a Constituional amendment that would prevent the national government from prohibiting slavery. etc.

But that is not my point. He dressed to the nine's for the inauguration, with a cane and a top hat. When he got to the "balcony" he found a place for his cane, but there was no good place to put his hat.

What happened. Sen. Steven Douglass, his long time rival and the one he'd defeated for president, arose and came over to him and said "I'll hold your hat." **

What a difference from Donny Trump.

** I wonder if that phrase arose from this event, or earlier, or unrelated.
Reply to
micky

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 23:43:59 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

WTF does this have to do with this group?

Reply to
Tekkie©