A crook caught

That's why they're called odds.

  1. The ratio of the probability of an event's occurring to the probability of its not occurring.
  2. The likelihood of the occurrence of one thing rather than the occurrence of another thing, as in a contest:

You consider it a waste because of your personal experiences with your licensing. That's a reactionary viewpoint, albeit an understandable one. You consider yourself an exception to most rules, so why wouldn't you believe that you'd be the exception to the unlicensed? You wouldn't get licensed if you could avoid it on general principle and your antipathy to any form of government. Other people do it because they're cheap/crooks/don't-want-to-be-accountable/can't.

I don't consider it a waste because I don't like seeing people hurt - even people I don't know. Do you?

It's kind of like panties. If all of a sudden the dresser drawer is full of new sexy panties (and they're not yours ;) there just _might_ be something going on there. It's a warning sign. Unlicensed is a warning sign for contractors. It might be nothing, but you'd be a fool to not heed the warning.

RicodJour

"RicodJour"> wrote

Oh dear. Now licensure prevents harm. I can't wait to see whats next.

Reply to
Don

"RicodJour"> wrote

One day you were unlicensed, uneducated and inexperienced. Then you plopped your ransom on the counter and magically you were educated, experienced and LICENSED! Please Rico, you can do better than that, I know you can.

Reply to
Don

True.

You've got the timeline wrong. I was educated, got experience working for others, learned I needed to be licensed and insured to do business and did just that.

I believe that licensing doesn't guaranty problem-free contracting, and I also believe that unlicensed contractors are breaking the law, cutting corners and a risk that most people don't need to take. My question to you Don: You don't believe licensing is either necessary nor moral, yet you're licensed, why?

RicodJour

The Venn diagram is two concentric circles. The outer one is corner-cutting, unreliable hacks. The inner one is liscenced and insured tradesmen.

Reply to
Goedjn

Whatchya talking about, Willis? I haven't heard something so silly since I don't know venn. ;)

RicodJour

Ven you Vaant to kvit vit zis vundefful schtuff?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Good, we're in agreement so far.

and

So? Unjust laws are meant to be broken. If there was a law against eating you'd break it.

Don't get me started on people that cut corners. Don't forget, I built a home in recent memory and am more than knowledgeable in what licensed contractors are capable of. Quality control by licensed contractors and their earringed on-site employees? Please.

My

It ain't about me Rico. Its about your silly assed assertion that people that haven't paid ransom to the state are inompetent and prone to error MORE so than people that have paid the ransom.

("The day before I paid ransom I was incapable, but the day I paid ransom I instantly became capable!")

You, and all the other asserters in this thread have failed big time to show why your licenses make you better than people that aren't. What you folks have done though is demonstrate in a public forum your questionable character and your extreme fear that persons better than you will put you out of business. Whining like little girls. This is specifically addressed to you, Rico, in response to your attempt above to smear me because you are unable to intelligently prove your faulty assertion.

Reply to
Don

Lame analogy. If there's a lower speed limit going through a school zone, and I know that all the kids are inside so there's no chance of me creating a mini road pizza, I still slow down. Regulations that don't have a majorly negative impact, but are just a little inconvenient, are not the equivalent of forced starvation.

Please go back and search the newsgroup for our exchanges immediately preceding and during the construction of your house. You might have more respect for some of my opinions, even if they differ from yours, from the improved vantage point of hindsight.

Interesting. Persons better than me... I don't look at it like that, but let's work with it. The license doesn't make someone a better contractor automatically - you're just playing word games with that. But not having a license in an area that requires contractor licensing does make someone worse. Someone may have the most awe inspiring grasp of construction ever contained in one brain, but there's much more to contracting than just knowledge of construction. It's a business. How many skilled tradesmen do you think start up construction companies of one sort or another, only to find out that the business end of the business is eating them alive? They hate the paperwork, dealing with customers, filing for permits, insurance, etc. You honestly believe that person is a better contractor? I don't - I consider them a better craftsman, maybe, but definitely not a better contractor.

Can it be conclusively proven that licensing improves the quality of the available contractor pool? Maybe, maybe not - but there can be little doubt that someone that is willing to ignore some regualtions that are inconvenient for them are more likely to ignore other things as well. Which areas of contracting do you feel are okay to ignore?

Licensing is not a panacea, but it is a starting point. Until the day where there is an equivalent of an eBay-type feedback mechanism in everything, how are people to determine the wheat from the chaff? I'm not just talking just about contractors, but doctors, accountants, and businesses of all types.

You're taking this way too personally, but that's up to you. There's no attempt to smear, just calling you on a question. Which still stands.

RicodJour