Having trouble redoing my coax connectors

About a year ago I had someone wired a few RG6 cables to all the rooms. Two wires that were existing he did not replace - said those were RG6 already.

I recently decided to change all my interconnect coax to RG6 as well, I bought a compression tool, a RG6 cable stripper and 50 compression connectors (Stirling?). After a few tests I calibrated the stripper and compression tool nicely and began work. For the most part I did not have any problem using these connectors at all, until I got to the two "existing RG6" that were not replaced.

After examining the connectors on these cables at the outlets, they were all twisted and frayed so I decided to replace them.

The first one after I stripped the cable, the braid was not like standard RG6, it's greasy and made it very difficult to fold back. What is that grease? Is it used for as a water proof shield? Is it still a RG6 cable? The cable jacket does not say but has this on it "E83032 F690BVV-APO (UL)CATV 18 AWG" what does it mean is it RG6? After I fold it back putting the connector on was easy.

The second one was difficult. It has a very thick braid that is sort of interweaved. There is also no silver foil under the braid. I try to push it into a compression connector, and it will not go in all the way no matter how hard I tried. I tried to calibrate the blade for a deeper cut to cut some of the braid, no difference. Then I put it into the compression tool it was only able to compress half way and it won't go anymore. The lower half of the compression sleeve "bulged" and no matter how hard I tried, it con't close off completely.

Any idea what type of cables these are and whether I need special connector for those? Seems my existing one are no good for this cable.

Thanks,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

It could be RG-59 which is a different size. Look further down the cable for additional writing. There are RG-6 connectors and then RG-59 connectors which are a different size. (I only use RG-6 cable as it is the best quality.)

Reply to
Bill

When I worked at a TV station here in Chicago we wound up tossing all of our RG-59 cable. It gave us nothing but trouble. Can you rerun that cable? Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

I always solder my coax cables if possible. Makes for better connection.