What is the nicest system of crimping coax cable?

I have a coax crimper, but it makes crimps that look very bad. I would like to buy something else that works very nicely and makes good looking crimps, so any suggestions to that effect will be appreciated.

Reply to
Ignoramus13408

compression crimp. The crimp-ons look like a pair of rings. The crimper is a small handheld affair where the "crimp" occurs inside one of the handles.

Go to a big box hardware store and ask. There's only two kinds of crimps: the old kind and the new compression ring crimp.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Use a compression crimper and the special connectors it requires. They have a sleeve that the tool presses into the connector body, wedging the cable in place. Makes beautiful and reliable cables.

DAGS for RG6 compression connectors or tool or crimper.

Available in a water resistant version for outdoors, too.

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Go to Home Depot and get one.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I can see it now.

Man walks into home depot. Home depo employee: "Hello. Finding everything ok?" Man: "no. I need to 'get one' Can you tell me where the ones are?" Home depo employee: "Can you be more specific?" Man: "no. I wanted something to make nice crimps and somebody told me to get one. Where are the ones?" ...

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Agreed- but it isn't really a crimper, since it doesn't squeeze the connector from the side. You want the one that shoves the connector onto the end of the cable, at the same time it shoves the plastic sleeve thingie that slips over the end of the cable first, down into the connector. Makes a very pretty and strong and low-noise connection. We have one at work for the 2-way satt dishes that makes mil-spec connections, but it costs several hundred dollars, and the connectors are about five bucks each. The ones they sell at HD/Lowes/etc work on the same concept, but cost a whole lot less, and are plenty good enough for home use, as long as you don't get -75 to +120 temp swings, sandstorms, and such, like the stuff we build does. Expect to spend

30-40 bucks for the tool and the first ten connectors, and buy another box of connectors at the same time. It'll take you 2-3 tries to get the hang of lining it all up and applying the proper pressure. If the kit doesn't have a good coax stripper in it, buy one of those as well.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I just got one of those compression tools. It's easy to use and seems to do a good job on RG6 cable. Not so good on RG59.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

They even sell RG59 any more? Or were you just putting new ends on an old cable? I certainly would not install any new RG59 anywhere.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I think that I am getting the picture. Thanks to everyone. I will definitely get a compression crimper. I do have a acceptable coax stripper.

Ignoramus13408

I wouldn't either.

The last time I had to work with RG59, it was to replace a (non-compression) end that had come loose. Replacing the entire cable would have been a much more complex operation.

BTW, the local Lowes does not sell RG59 in bulk.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd