extending coax cable to cable-modem

Hello, I would like to extend the coax cable to my cable-modem as I want to move the latter from the front of the house to the back. I'd like to avoid going wireless if possible for the moment. I've been looking around but I don't know what kind of coax I should get (I've seen maplin do RG58, RG59, CT100 and CT125). Which one should I use? I'm with Telewest, if it helps. Also, some cable are 75 ohms but others are

50 ohms, which one should I use. Finally, are the connectors that go onto the coax and screw at the back of the cable-modem F-type connectors? Many thanks for your help. Regards Rick
Reply to
Rick

Why not leave the modem where it is and fit a long ethernet cable instead?

Reply to
Rob Morley

hi rick, maplin do FT100 and FT125 type cable suitable for your use also the f connector, get the non crimp types they do various sizes to fit different cables. regards bob

Reply to
burbeck

If you look at the existing co-ax there is a fair chance it is marked in some way. There is a good chance that an extension made from 75ohm CT100 will be fine.

Use a couple of "twist on" F plug connectors for the extension, and join it to the old one with a F barrel connector (i.e. two F sockets back to back)

Reply to
John Rumm

Thats is my best advice for sure.

I THINK - but am not sure, that 'cable' cable is 50 ohm. But you could probably get away with sat grade 75ohm downlwead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, CATV uses 75 ohm coax right across the world.

Reply to
Andy Wade

I've used CT100 (wot I had under the bench) No problems at all... And yes, F types. The core of the cable forms the pin of the connector, and as they screw onto the outer, they must be the right size (give or take).

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

I was told that both NTL and TW use RG6 internally, although the stuff NTL used here looks more like CT125. The suggestion to leave the CM where it is and run a long Ethernet lead instead is definitely the better idea though.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Use some CT100 with the proper F type connectors and it'll be fine...

Reply to
tony sayer

Ta m8. Another factoid to stash away...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That crossed my mind but firstly, I don't want to have the cable modem under my bed and secondly as the cable will be run outside for some part, I'm not too sure whether Cat5e is meant for outside use. On the other hand I do do agree that a long ethernet cable sounds to be less hassle. On the plus side if things change I still have a usable ethernet cable whereas for the long coax, I'm not sure what else to do with it. Does anyone know if ethernet cables can be run outside? Thanks. Regards Rick

Reply to
Rick

Ours do and we've never had a problem.

Reply to
Vera

It will last a few years... won't be much cop for anything else after mind you. It will last longer if you paint it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yeah. Remember that PVC absorbs moisture, unlike, for example polyethylene.or rubber. For electrical work you may not notice it until the insulation falls below say 1Mohm, but that could have quite a significant effect for telecomms...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Sure. The PVC covering degrades in tome, but they should do 5-10 years, or put em in trunking.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hello, thanks for all the replies. I was looking through my screwfix catalogue and found that they also do coax cables which are a lot cheaper than the maplin's ft100 and ft125. Unfortunately, there's little information and the codes screwfix uses are different. The items I'm looking at are :

73005: Coaxial CCTV Cable RG59U (High tensile screened Coaxial Cable for long runs. RG59 75ohm 6mm O/D for broadcast, CCTV, security and telecoms.) 11466: Coaxial Cable Brown 100M(Low loss, air spaced 75ohm Single Copper Conductor.) 10633: Satellite Cable PH100(SKY endorsed analogue and digital. BS EN 50117-1 CAI approved.) 13956: Satellite Cable White 100M(Copper Braid and Aluminium Foil Shielded, air spaced, single copper conductor. 75ohm.) Does anyone have any experience of these cables and can suggest which one is appropriate for my situation? Thanks. Regards Rick
Reply to
Rick

In article , Rick writes

Either of the last Two, depending on your choice of colour....

Reply to
tony sayer