Is my cylinder safe

Hi Guys,

I couple of weeks ago I posted a message regarding air in my hot water. I was looking for solutions then and the end result was someone posting about a thermal store.

Anyway a couple of weeks on my Scottish Gas insurance engineer has made an alteration to my cyclinder which for the most part removes the problem. The problem was, as I suspected then, that because the cyclinder was close to the water tank it was sucking air down the vent.

So he has now taken the pipe output from the top of the cyclinder and routed it down about 80cm to a lower part of the vent pipe. This prevents the suction of air into my hot water, and the an improvement is obvious.

However, it does mean (noticable in the morning) that I sometimes get some air bubles trapped in the pipe at the top of the cyclinder (presumably created during heating). These useually clear quickly when a tap is opened and create only a small ammout of noise.

But what I want to know is this alteration safe? I mean there is still an open vent, but if for some reason the cyclinder started boiling it would have to push out about 80cm of water in a 22mm pipe before getting out.

Cheers! Colin.

Reply to
Colin Docherty

The vent pipe must go up at all times. Short horizontal runs aren't a problem, but downwards is bad.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle