A/C filter too small...

I just bought a new filter for my a/c and accidentally bought the wrong size, it is too small, about 2 inches on either side. Would it cause any problems if I went ahead and used it anyways? Which makes me wonder now... what happens if there is no filter in place at all? Would it damage the a/c over time?

Thanks!

Reply to
m35603

Take it back and get the right one.

Reply to
CJT

It is kind of like smoking,... you won't have any problems right away, but you will eventually have major problems down the line. The coils in your unit will become clogged with dust and grime and your air flow will be significantly reduced. Your unit will begin freezing up and will not cool down your home. You will have to call in a HVAC repairman to remove and clean your coils. This can cost a lot of money compared to buying the right filter (or not using one at all).

Reply to
Robert Allison

Thank you guys... I just returned the wrong size filter and bought a correct size one. I guess it was worth another trip to Wal-Mart!

Reply to
m35603