Subject Author Posted Replies

(OT) Replacing white numbers on a keyboard
I remember typing class...all Remington manual typewriters...by 1 month most of the girls could type 30 w/m and most guys took 3 months! (1962)
28
28

January Gasoline?
Somewhere I saw a post from somebody who claimed that the best time to buy gasoline that is to be stored was in January. Yeah... Stabil and all that.... Our local pumps all have "10% Ethanol" on them...
8
8

Replacing an FPE Stab Lock panel
Original panel dates to 1957. No issues with it but I've read about the many bad things about this unit. Also, the local codes now require 100A service and the present panel with two mains of 30 for...
9
9

Construction Adhesive Question
Hello, Question regarding tghe tubes of "Construction Adhesive" you see in HD and elsewhere; variousa brands of apparently. I am not familiar with this type of adhesive, so would like to ask: I have...
6
6

Exposed Outdoor Main Breaker problems
In my area, all commercial buildings must have an exterior MAIN breaker, and it can not be locked. This is so the fire department can shot off the power quickly if there is a fire or other disaster....
26
26

Kohler-14RESAL: how much to install one of these things?
Hi All, Can you guys make a ball park guess as to how much it would cost to install one of these things: Kohler-14RESAL? The generator would be positioned about 10 feet from my and gas meters....
1
1

Ping Stormin': 33!
Hi Stormin, Got a Christmas card from one of my Aunts on the Christian-ish side of the family. Had a family portrait on it. If I count bottom left to top right, I get 33. (The other way around comes...
1
1

OT -What has happened to Google Maps?
I just went to my bookmarked "Google Maps" to find out where a special hard ware store is located. Instead of getting my normal 60540 local area code map, I get s high-altitude panoramic view of the...
14
14

Smoke alarms
Suggestions for battery operated smoke alarms. I currently have alarms with a built in light, tho I doubt the light would do any good in a real fire. My current smoke alarms have 2-9v each. I see some...
4
4

Electric Panel Question - two v one panels
My house originally had electric as follows... Main supply wires come out of the ground, go thru the electric meter and into a main breaker panel on the outside of the house that has a single large...
87
87

Sliding door update
A couple of weeks ago I asked about sliding patio doors. We looked at a few and decided on Marvin. Seems well made and should outlast me. We did look at Pella,but decided against them. I did not like...
2
2

Gluing cover back on torpedo CFL
I have a torpedo CFL like this one in a yard lamp fixture. Under that plastic cover is a standard twisty CFL like these. The plastic cover has come loose from the base. The residual adhesive they used...
4
4

Question on 6 family apt building electric panels
I own a 6 family apartment building in Brooklyn, and the electric was upgra ded back in 2000. I noticed on these panels in the basement, the feed coming straight from th e meter to the panel, there is...
12
12

OT - multiple redundancies
I think I noticed another redundancy. I had typed "after you IM messaged me". Is IM messaging, like your insurance company needs your vehicle's VIN number? And if the tires are inflated in pounds PSI?...
2
2

Teflon Pipe Thread Tape
I have a bunch of white Teflon pipe thread tape. I wanted some thicker tape and the only thing I could find at the store was the usual thin white stuff for water lines and some thicker stuff that was...
13
13