OT -What has happened to Google Maps?

I just went to my bookmarked "Google Maps" to find out where a special hard ware store is located. Instead of getting my normal 60540 local area code map, I get s high-altitude panoramic view of the entire northern Illinois a rea. No way to move, enlarge or reduce the map. Then alittle bit and most ly below the panoramic view, I also get a lot of graphics and the equivalen t of 3-4 scroll-down pages of gibberish and symbols and "stuff". My book m ark is unchanged. Mapquest, yellowpages maps, etc, all still work ok. Anyo ne else notice this problem?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Working OK here for my town. Looked up 60540 and it shows Naperville OK.

Can you try a different browser ?

Reply to
Retired

I'll call my son, "the Guru", tomorrow, and give him remote control of my computer and see what gives.

Reply to
hrhofmann

That's because satellites are very hard to move. It's not like "24" where they reposition the satellites whenever they want to.

Well, I checked just now and I'm back to the new map format. I wasn't earlier today. I swtiched permantenty to the old map format and I was happy. Okay... I just n ow left clicked onthe ? mark, and went back to the old map format.

Didnt' have any satellite views

This is my default page based on where they think I live (and they're right.)

This is my default page on the new map format https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8048209,-77.2369665,8z Eventually it should ask if I want to make classic permanent.

What's your url from space?

Something happened a week ago and I lost the add-on Noscript, and maybe others. STrangley, even though the Noscript icon isn't next to the location box, and no Noscript bars pop up on the bottom, I havent' gotten more than 1 or 2 "Script will not compete" or "Flash is in a loop" boxes in the past week, which is what I wanted Noscript to get rid of. I think this is like my baking soda submarine and I hope it keeps working so well.

Reply to
micky

Do you use TeamViewer. It works great. It's supposed to be even better than the built-in feature, which I've never used.

Reply to
micky

rdware store is located. Instead of getting my normal 60540 local area cod e map, I get s high-altitude panoramic view of the entire northern Illinois area. No way to move, enlarge or reduce the map. Then alittle bit and mo stly below the panoramic view, I also get a lot of graphics and the equival ent of 3-4 scroll-down pages of gibberish and symbols and "stuff". My book mark is unchanged. Mapquest, yellowpages maps, etc, all still work ok. An yone else notice this problem?

Google maps changed format recently. I don't like it because of the boxes o f text that cover the map. If you click on the question mark you have a cho ice to return to the classic style.

Reply to
Ameri-Clean

That happened to me twice yesterday. And I was logged in and I did check that I wanted to keep the old format.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

???? There's nothing realtime about the satellite imagery. Sometimes it's obvious that adjoining tiles were captured at different times of the year. If you look closely you can sometimes determine how old a particular tile is by looking for recent changes.

Reply to
rbowman

I didn't like that either. Also, they have zoom in and zoom out, but used to have a zoom scale you could click anywhere on the scale and not have to go one step at a time. Even in the old format, that scale is not there all the time, and I can't tell what makes it be there and when it isn't.

And you can check off reasons why you don't like it. Too many boxes is one of the reasons you can check. IIRC, at first you could only check one box, but now you can check several.

And, ahem, if you click Back and then click on the question mark, you can give your reassons a second time. I wonder if they check for duplicate posters!

Reply to
micky

The good thing would be if they did that just to get a count of those who really still want the old format.

Weather.com changed its format a week ago, and I don't like it, but I think I couldn't even find an email address.

Reply to
micky

Good to know. I've only checked I don't like it. The initial reason was the new format didn't work with the Measurement Tool. I like it. Getting the link to show you, I find the new maps has a measuring tool on the right click. Go here:

Then open up the section on measuring distance on the classic Google Maps.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

I have always preferred weather.gov. No ads. I keep two shotcuts on my toolbar. One for hourly and the other for 7-Day. The below have my coordinates. Find your latitude and longitude and edit them into the links.

Hourly

If you live down south, click on show menu, uncheck snow/freezing rain/sleet, click on hide menu, and save that link.

7-Day

This will find your latitude and longitude:

Enter zip code, or city and state. Then zoom in and click on your location.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

And two weeks ago, the certificates to *receive* email via Verizon.com expired, or changed, for no apparent reason, and I had to fiddle with my news reader (Eudora) to get mail again. No warning or help from Verizon. I had to ask online for help, in order to make it work.

Last night the same t hing happed wrt "sending" email via Verizon, via my laptop, with slightly different steps needed to fix it, but at least I had an idea where to start. However this morning the desktop computer still sends email just fine, on the same account, same DSL line

Weather.com's advertising is after the weather

So now I know where to find you if I need you.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Reply to
micky

I have done nothing to my computer since the original post, not even powering it up or down,(or down and then back up), and tonite Google maps is working corectly again. SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

original post, not even powering it up or down, (or down and then back up), and tonite Google maps is working corectly again. SIGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look for black van in driveway with mirror windows.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon