2nd copy of car keys and fob?

On Fri 28 Jul 2017 07:06:29p, rbowman told us...

I usually drive about 5 mph over the speed limit. I'd probabaly get in you way. :-)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 28 Jul 2017 07:03:05p, told us...

Thank you!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 28 Jul 2017 07:24:42p, Unquestionably Confused told us...

Thanks for all the good information! During our discussion with the dealer, particularly about the engine choice, we really did thank him for heading us in that direction. He's been in the bussiness for many years and not one to sell people what that don't need or want.

I may be old, but still an amateur when it comes to the guts under the hood, and his help was really appreciated, as was yourss.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I seldom drive over the speed limit but I also seldom waste any time getting to it. Putting a few hundred thousand miles on a big rig alters your perspective. The limits around here typically are 70 on 2 lane rural roads and 80 on the interstate. Back when there was no daytime speed limit other than 'reasonable and prudent' traffic often moved at

90 or 95. I wasn't all that comfortable on a bike sharing the road with 90 mph soccer moms.
Reply to
rbowman

On Fri 28 Jul 2017 10:24:40p, rbowman told us...

The two cities I've lived in most of my life have been Cleveland and Phoenix. Speed limits on 2 lane rural roads ranged from 45 to 55. Ohioi freeways for about 10 years the speed limit was 80, then it was immediately dropped to 55 during the fuel crisis, was gradually increased to 65 and 75 depending on the area. Currently in AZ the speed limit is 75 on major freeways, although some are 65. None of the speed limits have ever returned to 80 or exceeded it.

The highway patrol and police are extremely vigilant with speeders. When we first moved to the Phoenix areaa we lived about 30 miles out of the city. There was a 2 lane road that I had to travel on the final leg of route home where the limit was 35. I was clocked at 45 and paid a $300 fine. They will generally overlook 5 mph oveer the limit regardless of the limit, but if they clock you they'll always get you for a substantial fine.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Potential fines is what keeps me under control but that is steep. It has been a while since I was nabbed at 10 over (I was daydreaming) but it was only $50. What pissed me off is that I travel that road 5 days a week, know where the cops sit and usually set the cruise control at 5 over and never had a problem.

There is a section of the highway that temps everyone to speed It is a valley where you can see well ahead if anyone is watching and you can get run over at 75. My top speed in that section is 125 but normally is about 85 to 90 and coast back to 75 at the top of the hill.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks :-)

I learned that during my years as a management consultant...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I remember driving across the top corner of Montana or Wyoming in

1971/72 with the'69 dart at 104 MPH. Didn't take long
Reply to
clare

You'll be far better informed that the sales droids you encounter in most car dealerships.

My wife has a car shopping rule that she immediately dismisses any sales guy who asks "And what color does the little lady like" before she's even specified a model and trim line.

I consider it a small victory convincing her to back down to that- rather than punching him out ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

A 4 cylinder is fine....as long as you don't mind that buzzy sound when you stomp on the gas while you're desperately trying to get up to speed and smoothly blend from the access lane onto the 70 MPH interstate :-)

Never mind trying to safely pass that loaded-down 1959 Ford pickup on a

2-lane country back road!
Reply to
Wade Garrett

My hopes is to snag the 2017 vehicle I want with about $10,000 knocked off the price due to it being 'last years model' as well at the end of the month and year. They may kick me to the curb because I've insulted them.

That would piss me off to no end. It's also a good reason I dread this shopping excursion as I feel like they'll see a woman come in and they think they can just jerk me around. I don't HAVE to have a new vehicle as what I'm driving runs like a top but it will be a treat for me and congratulating myself that I have made it to retirement.

Yes, it is hard sometimes to keep from knocking their lights out or giving them a dog cussin' they deserve.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

That is exectally why I bought a car with a 6 in it. I live in NC and there are lots of back roads I travel and many times there will be a farmer with a tractor going about 10 mph. There may only be a very small ammount of streight road to pass him on . I drove a 1991 Camry for many years and that 4 cylinder did not have enough punch to get around things like that. In years past I had several of the mussle class cars. When one is used to that kind of get up and go, that 4 cylinder just does not make one happy.

I remember the first time driving a 4 cylinder. It was a friends small Datsun. He told me to drive as I knew where we were going. There were 3 cars of us going to the same place. Somehow I wound up as the 2 nd car in line just a we were about to get off the intestate. He told me to go around the first car. I told him I had been trying to. He said to put it to the floor. I told him I already had it to the floor. It was a manual so the it di dnot down shift. Another time we were playing around with the cruse control. Set at 60 mph. Going up and down some small hills, the speed would drop to about 40 mph..

I know the newer 4s are much beter, but just not that good for me.

Someone mentioned color. The wife and I both wanted a red car, so that is one of the first things we told th esales man. It had to be a 6 cyl and red. Nothing else.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'm sure there are many male salesmen that still treat women like that, but the enlightened ones know that about half the car buyers today are women and better informed than our mother's were about cars.

You potentially can get $10k off if it is a reasonably nice car, not on a $15,000 list compact model.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The one I have my eye on is listed at $55,234. A lot could happen between now and the end of December but so far I haven't been dissuaded.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Then it could happen. My car stickered within a couple of hundred of that and I got $6500 off sticker. Good luck, everyone deserves a treat at some point in life.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks! I'm figuring they will balk when I make my offer but I plan on spending as much time as possible to get them down. But it will be accomplished in one day; I'm not going to be playing phone tag with them. Or if we can't agree on a sale price then I won't be running back and forth from my house to the dealership letting them try to wear me down.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

Last car I used Truecar.com for a price. It was the quickest and easiest car buying experience ever. Two cars ago I went to a dealer and made an offer. It was turned dows so I left. From there I went to another dealer where I bought in the past. After some back and forth we struck a deal. Two days later the first guy called and wanted to take my deal. Sorry, you had your chance.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Years ago a friend's brother had a hankering for a new pickup truck and went shopping. He and a local dealership salesman couldn't come to terms so he went to another dealership the next week. He got just what he wanted at a fair price. About a week or so after that the first salesman called him and ready to deal. He told him he bought the truck that he wanted about 2 weeks prior. He said you could audibly see his face falling over the phone he was so disappointed. Friends brother told him he was ready the day he came to the dealership but first salesman wanted to play games so he left and got what he wanted elsewhere.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

I had no problem with either with my 2.4 PT Cruizer - and no, it was NOT the turbo model. It handled 4 adults from Waterloo Ontario to PEI and back without a single complaint (not counting the passengers).I wouldn't try to tow a 17 foot trailer behind it, butit was capable of producing painfull speeding tickets on the open road - - -

Reply to
clare

Tell them they have one chance for their lowest price. SOMEONE is going to sell you a car - it's up to them whether it is them or someone else. Then stick to it. Don't let them play the"i'll beat the other guy's price" game. Best price. Now. Or walk. Usually works.

Reply to
clare