2nd copy of car keys and fob?

Could be worse -- could be an XK150. Getting the SU's to hum the same tune wasn't all that difficult. The Austin-Healeys had two or three depending.

Reply to
rbowman

If he is truly Richy Rich. different scenario if he is Mr. Max Mortgage that does not have two dimes in his pocket..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Accidentally hit the cap lock and hit send without looking.

Not saying it's chump change, but there is SOME truth to the idea of "if you can afford to buy it, you can afford to pay the stupid prices for maintenance" in that "if you can't afford the maintenance you can't afford the car" - and the same is true of the used car - which "will" require more maintenance.

Reply to
clare

Ladies and gentleman, we have a winner!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And yet we all know someone who drives too much car or lives in too much house.

Just cuz you can pay for it doesn't mean you can afford it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Indeed, we are ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

If they can't afford the maintenance on their Bimmer and it breaks down in the middle of a BLM riot, that's natural selection at work.

Reply to
rbowman

When I steamed in the merchant marine I had a cab inmate who had a '65 DB5. This was in 1971. I remember he told me he had just done about $8k in engine work. Couldn't get my mind around that. I went with him to Detroit to get the car, and bring it back to Toledo, where our ship was home ported. I took the wheel it for a short stretch coming back. Steered like a go-cart, and I recall I had a little trouble controlling it, so he ended my stint at the wheel. I was happy for that. I don't know how he could afford it, and didn't ask. It had a sweet sound. Left that ship a couple weeks later and didn't see him again.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Mr Max Mortgage "can't afford to drive" the car = can''t really afford to pay the money for it either.

Reply to
clare

Lots of them. And when they get out of either the car OR the house, it's generally not a deal for the new owner

Reply to
clare

Sometimes getting out of the car involves a repo man...

Reply to
rbowman

On Wed 26 Jul 2017 04:40:57p, told us...

We just bought a new car last week, if fact it is still in production at the factory. I know we paid more for it than what we had planned on, but is still within our budget, both purchase and maintenance.

We had not planned to buy a car until October, but the dealership and factory were offering very good incentives which would not occur again until the end of the year, and the interest rate was next to nothing.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Since moving into retirement mode, I may eventually break my self-imposed rule not to buy new cars. When the Taurus dies, if there is a good deal at 0% or close, it would make more sense to buy new, taking the payments out of the RIFF , than to take the tax hit pulling money from RRSP to pay for a used one.

Reply to
clare

Just learned a couple of Canadian abbreviations. Often of hear folks retiring and buying their last car, usually a pricey one, to be stuck with an old car 10 years later. I buy new and run until a repair cost is more than the book value of the car. Did it last year. Find a lot of us old folks buying new cars cannot or don't try to use all the new electronic bells and whistles. Blue tooth, gps's and the like are Greek to them. This key fob would also be Greek to them.

Reply to
Frank

I'm an old fart and pretty tech-savvy. I really like all the electro bells and whistles on my new top-of-the-trim-line ride.

I especially like the rear cross traffic radar, the lane departure warning (signal every lane change or you get a beeping serenade), the collision warning/avoidance braking system, and the adaptive cruise control that slows you down if you get too close to the car in front of you.

I'm ambivalent about voice-controlling the Nav and radio and answering phone calls with buttons on the steering wheel

What I can do without is 600+ small print pages in the "main" owner's manual and another 350 in the "electronics" manual.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

I like all those goodies too. In May we went away for a while and took a 4,000 mile trip. Adaptive CC makes it so much nicer. I set the climate control when I got the car 22 months ago and have not touched it since.

Do you have the "auto hold" system for brakes? When you stop you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the brakes stay on until you touch the gas. It sets the parking brake when you shift into park. Really nice in stop and go traffic that is more stop than go.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Few years ago one son had a BMW with all the bells and whistles. Thought it near he could just say, call Dad and call me or tell it to give him directions. System failed and fixed under warranty and they told him at dealer, it was good that it was under warranty as it would have cost him $3,000 to repair.

Reply to
Frank

On Thu 27 Jul 2017 10:18:47a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

We are both retired and our present car is 10 yeas old. We didn't want to think about the possibility of having an expensive repair within the next couple of years. We just ordered a new car from the factory with all the bells and whistles that both you and Wade mentioned, plus a few more goodies. I"m very tech savvy and David is not, but I'm a good teacher. :-)

We decided within the net 10 years that one or both of us might not be driving or not be allowed to drive, or worse yet, dead. It seemed prudent to buy something now that we will enjoy.

I downloaded the users manual because it's in much larger print than the book you get with the car, the same with the navigation manual. I've already memorized most of the features in the manuals so there should be a minimal learning curve. :-)

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Nope, it doesn't have that. Sounds like a nice feature though. Wish it did.

My wife's ride will jam the brakes on if you're about to back into something like the garbage can, a light pole or another car in the parking lot.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

On Thu 27 Jul 2017 12:46:28p, Wade Garrett told us...

That's a great sig!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright