220 volt to 110 volt

... and simpler still to use a 240V light.

Reply to
CJT

I can't imagine why he would want to switch it from 240 to 120.

Reply to
CJT
[dumb joke snipped]

No, it's not -- and when the OP is clearly not an expert in electrical matters, this sort of joke isn't a good idea at all.

Reply to
Doug Miller

*What* indications?

I see *nothing* in the original post that indicates the presence of a neutral. The fact that he's using the circuit to run a 240V motor strongly suggests that there is *not* a neutral, as 240V motors neither need nor use a neutral and thus are typically wired without one.

Reply to
Doug Miller

[snip]
[snip]

What about the "standard 110 volt outlet" mentioned by the OP?

Reply to
Doug Miller

So that he won't have to pull a new cable, of course.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, I took it he was open to suggestions.

Reply to
CJT

There is that, but he'd probably have to pull one anyway to handle twice the current.

Reply to
CJT

He may be. But I would prefer that the OP clearly understands that he cannot safely install a 120V *outlet* without having a neutral conductor present, which he probably does not have.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Depends entirely on the size of the motor (as noted in gfretwell's post above). If it's 1HP or less, he almost certainly does *not* need to pull heavier cable.

Reply to
Doug Miller

If this is, in fact, 2 wire plus ground cable it is an easy option. As I said in another note this should be wire in pipe.

Reply to
gfretwell

Perhaps you should reread it:

"Is this as simple as taking the 220 wires, and connecting only one hot wire side with the common wire and ground wire to a standard 110 volt outlet?"

One hot wire...common wire...ground wire. What do you suppose he means by "common wire" other than neutral? He's certainly NOT referring to the ground wire since he says "common wire AND ground wire"...clearly two different wires. And of course he doesn't mean the other hot since he expressly stated "connecting only one hot wire" let alone that it would not make any electrical sense.

We won't know unless and until he clarifies but presence of a neutral is VERY STRONGLY suggested in the OP. There is really nothing else "common wire" can mean. There is no need for this blather about using ground as neutral. He never said anything of the sort.

Reply to
Steve Kraus

As everyone else told you, NEVER use the ground wire as the neutral. If you actually meant the neutral, meaning you have a WHITE neutral, and a black and red hot (or two or either color), Then you can do something. You'd need to run the 220 to a separate breaker box, install a dual breaker for the pool, and a single 15 or 20A for the

110. (at the pool location) Of course you also need an actual ground, and there are likely restrictions for a breaker box by a pool (and it must be an outdoor type box if it's not in an enclosure). If the 220 wires to the pool pimp are in a conduit, you can likely shove a white wire thru. If not, start digging !!!!
Reply to
alvinamorey

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 06:22:33 -0000, Steve Kraus wrote Re Re: 220 volt to 110 volt:

Nice post Steve.

It's amazing how some people can't read a simple paragraph with any degree of inference.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I suppose that by that, he means the neutral wire which he *imagines* to be present in the existing 240V motor circuit -- but is almost certainly absent.

I agree that it's clear he knows the difference between the two. What's not at all clear is whether he -- or you -- realizes that 240V circuits typically do

*not* contain a neutral conductor.

Sorry, but that's just not correct. The description of the circuit as powering an existing 240V motor "VERY STRONGLY" suggests the ABSENCE of a neutral conductor.

Neither did I. But there is no evidence whatsoever, absent an actual count of the uninsulated conductors present in the cable or conduit, that the OP does in fact have a neutral available. Many people do not understand that 240V devices do not have or use a neutral conductor. The OP may be one of them. You appear to be another.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Yes, it is -- and you've made the same mistake that Steve did.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Should be fine, note on setups like this with long wire runs from the box, the motor startup surge can introduce significant spikes which might damage poorly designed electronics. Lights fine.

Reply to
Jeff

Wrong. See posts earlier in this thread by gfretwell and myself for explanations of why.

Please don't offer electrical advice without understanding it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I'm thinking WE ALL were duped by a troll. Did you all notice that not once did the OP come back with answers or further questions? We all fell into the trap this time.

steve

Reply to
Steve Barker

now that i think further about it, if he has a three wire 240v line going in, he shouldn't do it.

now if he has a four wire (red, black, white, bare) line, then he can.

Reply to
Tater