2 speed Hotpoint washing machine - only runs fast; ratchety

My ~20 year old 2 speed Hotpoint large capacity washer (in USA) runs at the fast speed even when set on the slow speed. It also often makes a ratchety sound that can sometimes be temporarily stopped by restarting. Don't know if the two problems are related.

Is there a clutch or some other replaceable part, or is it faulty electronics?

I've looked, but cannot find a model #. It has fake wood grain on the top of the back panel. It has a strange coupling device that is made of some flexible material that can handle the offset to the motor. I peered over the back and saw a wiring sticker with the number 143B8673P003, but there is no indication that it is the model number. (I plugged that number into a parts website and it didn't come up with a match.)

Also, I had to replace a leaking water pump a few years ago. Are there any other critical parts that could cause water damage that I should think about replacing?

Thanks

--Art

Reply to
Art M

Hi,

Some have a 2 speed clutch.

If this -IS- a 2 speed clutch, there should be a speed solenoid that stops 1/2 of the clutch from working for slow/lower speed. If the solenoid or solenoid arm is out of place the clutch shoes can hit or tick against the solenoid/solenoid arm and make a noise.

model# helps.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Thanks for the help