Subject Author Posted Replies

Clothing fitting room occupied indicator
With fitting rooms at the clothing store, it sure would be nice to make some easy way to know if the room is occupied. Is something made? I know Kwikset has an "occupied" deadbolt, that has an outside...
8
8

Crown Molding Scarf Joints
I just put up white crown molding. I used angled (45 degree) scarf joints where two pieces meet along a wall. I matched the joints very carefully but slight differences in the elevation of the two...
9
9

Receptacles -- # of wires per screw
Is there a specific electrical code that states how many wires can be attached per screw when wiring outlet receptacles? I've always heard that when wiring receptacles, one shouldn't attach...
41
41

Another electrical puzzle: 120 from 240?
Was called to look at an electrical problem. I looked at the panel that seemed to be the culprit, determined it to be a 240 v. 3-phase (probably) panel with a few breakers that were causing problems....
17
17

Want to replace wood floors but don't have a subfloor. Do I need one?
HI group, I bought a house built in 1925 which has oak floors. They are not in the best shape, with cracks and weak spots (funny the home inspection didnt really call it out as a problem)....
21
21

Can gel dishwashing detergent plug up a dishwasher?
I've always used powder dishwashing detergent in past But for some reason I bought some gel detergent to try out Tow days after using it my dishwasher (albeit old) just up and quit. It does act as...
4
4

Polyurethane vs. enamel -- kitchen cabinets
Refinishing kitchen cabinets... how would you compare regular interior latex paint covered by polyurethane versus simply using enamel paint? How would that compare? Thanks.
6
6

Replacing a cracked window
I'm guessing a bird flew into one of our windows and cracked the outer pane. There are strips around the perimeter of the glass. Do I simply pry those strips off to get the glass out?
23
23

DTV audio - will my radio still work?
When digitial TV is implemented..........will a radio which currently can receive TV audio still function? Thanks.
19
19

Roofing Reflectance
What are the trade-offs regarding home roofing reflectance. I ask because I'm considering using a 40% R roof for most of my home (mostly for asthetic reasons) and a 60% R for a south facing (and...
13
13

whole house humidifiers revisited
I have an Aprile Aire humidifier that uses the flow-thru evaporative metal elements. It uses a huge amount of water throughout the winter. I would like to switch to a spray or mist humidifier. Anyone...
7
7

add neutral bus
I have a GE panel It has room for more circuit breakers than grounding points on the neutral bus. There is room for adding neutral bus below existing bus. Can I do that? If so how do I bond one bus to...
4
4

digital tv
I have a older TV ,time Warner cable goes directly into the TV,no set up box,will I need a digital converter for it.If I call TW ,I know they probably tell me I will need one of there set up box so...
63
63

Connecting PVC to EMT
I have a 1/2" PVC that is from the outside (for outside receptacle and pool light) that comes up to the inside of the exterior wall and I need to connect that to 1/2" EMT to go to the switch. What is...
12
12

Sheetrock question
I am renovating a bathroom and my otherwise excellent carpenter and I have a disagreement. A bunch of sheetrock had to be replaced. Most will be covered with Corian after it is mud up and sanded....
31
31