Subject Author Posted Replies

Switch for outdoor light
I have an outdoor pole light (probably sodium vapor) adjacent to my shop. The light gets its power from my house (switch in living room). Switch and light are 120 ft. ± apart. Underground wire from...
5
5

Compressed air fittings redux
In a recent thread there was a good discussion of air fittings and hoses, etc. I mentioned my favorite Milton V-series high flow types for making economy compressors more effective. For those with...

Fan motor
Need to replace an Uppco, Inc 079272 motor/fan in my window exhaust unit. The motor/coil is 2x3x3 with two screws for mounting to a bracket and a two prong plug on a short line cord. The shaft is...
7
7

fridge, take 3 and the dumb things POs do
after visiting 3 stores and obsessively-compulsively web searching, I think I found a fridge that SWMBO would love I went home thinking "gee, all I have to do is take her to the store, get her to OK...
3
3

Loose roof shingles
Loose roof shingles I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest US, built in '54. Contractor did a scrape and shingle back in '96 ("20 year" shingles). Missed a spot around a vent. I...
3
3

Window Installer surprised
I was asked to estimate the cost of replacing the windows in a house in a nice neighborhood outside of town. I couldn't help but notice the lady was very beautiful and had a smile that won't...
5
5

Stubborn Wallpaper :(
Are there any tricks to remove stubborn off. Im starting to think it was applyed with glue. We bought the proper wallpaper remover from a paint shop and it did fine on all our house except for the...
4
4

Stove exhaust vent leaking cold air into house
I have a cooktop exhaust vent that is routed to the outside of the house. On the outside of the house there is a vent with a flat on it. Unfortunately the flat on the vent never closes - letting cold...
5
5

Removing a Broken Doorknob
Replacing a doorknob that was missing half of the door knob (1 of the two sides). the door is closed, and the strike blot is engaged. by twisting the one knob, it cant move or catch the latch...
9
9

Seattle man scales back remodeling plans
In order to get a permit from the city to do some remodeling (upgrade the kitchen, paint the exterior, etc.), he has to fork over $15,000(!) to have an asphalt sidewalk installed on his 60'...
5
5

ALUMINUM SWIMMING POOL CORROSION REPAIR
Is there an effective way to repair an aluminum swimming pool? There is some corrosion at the bottom half on an above ground pool.

Locating air mattress leak?
I have an air matress that's worked great for a year, but has now developed a leak. tried twice to locate the leak with soapy water (using Dawn liquid), but couldn't find even a hint of a...
15
15

Furnace replacement [oil condensing?]
As much as I hate to get rid of an old, simple friend, my 25 yr old furnace is due for replacement. There is no natural gas in the future of where I live. Electric is 16-18cents a KWH. I have a...
3
3

Increase BTU output of gas grill
Might be easier and possibly cheaper to buy a turkey fryer. The darned things are like jet engines. That's what I used during the Great Power Outage of '03 (and we had a "boil water" advisory...
7
7

Best adhering, durable black paint for metal
I have a set of metal drawers in the lab that are getting old. Ugly dark, dull green. Looking to paing them black, but I have no idea what will be durable and not flake off. I haven't found 2-part...
3
3