fridge, take 3 and the dumb things POs do

after visiting 3 stores and obsessively-compulsively web searching, I think I found a fridge that SWMBO would love

then I went home thinking "gee, all I have to do is take her to the store, get her to OK it, and then I can have a shiny new fridge that's quiet, cools well, and she won't complain about it."

WRONG...

PO of house hung a kitchen cabinet above the fridge, tight to the ceiling, and there's only 66.5" from floor to bottom of cabinet.

DAMN YOU PREVIOUS OWNER

*her* complaint about old fridge was size; I estimate it about 18 ft^3, can't seem to find a new one any bigger that's not also taller...!

guess I need to get an OK to rip down cabinet, but then what to do for storage space...? full kitchen remodel or even just a redoor is not in budget (much as I would *love* to make my own custom doors; I kinda hate the ones that are in there) do you think if I took a door to a good kitchen place that they might be able to sell me a cabinet to match but shorter? I believe these cabinets were installed by owner before last owner, so at least 20 years ago...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

No.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

We'll need a link to a well-lit picture, to give any useful advice on fine-tuning reality for the cabinets. A local artisan cabinet maker may be able to shorten the existing one, if you can get it down in one piece, but it would still likely leave mismatched finish areas on adjacent cabinet/wall, not to mention screw holes to patch. And it would cost as much as a new cabinet, of course. You could just rip it out and put up a contrasting shelf made of some other material, like wrought iron or something. Fridge is happier without a cabinet above anyway- better air circulation. Odds of getting a matching shorter cabinet 20 years later are slim to none, unless you can figure out original dealer and they haven't moved in 30 years, and never cleaned out the warehouse. If you like chasing geese and it was a popular style, a ripout cabinet from an architectural salvage or Habitat ReStore is your only hope. Most people end up just putting up open-front shelves there, made out of same flavor of wood, and finished as closely as they can from the MinWax aisle at the Borg.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I think you may have the solution. Kitchen needs repaint anyway since I tore down the hideous fluorescent light fixture. I'll propose open shelves and see what happens. "artisan cabinet maker" would not be worth it, cabinets are nothing special. I suppose I could take them down and see if they could be shaved from the top, if that is impossible, no big loss.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel