Subject Author Posted Replies

Preserving unused mortar
Hello. I recently repointed a small hole in between a couple of bricks. I had to color the mortar to match the existing mortar. I had some left over. So instead of tossing the unused mortar I put it...
5
5

Bathroom remodel
My old and only bathroom is about 8x8 squares. I planned to replace everything: bathtub, toilet, sink, cabinet, vanity, floor and ceramic tiles, and new sideboards, prep but no paint. All standard....
9
9

Cheap way to put up a wall to divide a three car garage
My sister-in-law has a tri-plex that has a three car garage with three single garage doors. However there are no dividing walls to separate the garage into separate garages. I need to put up a wall so...
19
19

hornets' nest
I have a hornets' nest (could be yellow jackets) in my attic crawl space that we cannot reach. We see them entering the attic under the eaves of the house. We have been using hornet spray at the entry...
12
12

New Garage Foundation
Can anyone tell me why the footing has to be poured across the garage door? This mean I need to pump the concrete instead of driving the truck inside. I am thinking of failing my inspection so I can...
24
24

Carpet cleaning tips?
My light beige carpet is 6 years old and is showing shades of gray in foot trafficked areas. My tenants did a shampoo cleaning, but I think I need to do some heavier treatment. Any suggestions for...
6
6

2 black wires but no white wire (photocell-controlled fixture)
I have a condo porch light that's controlled by a master photocell on the outside wall which also turns on other exterior lights at night. You can turn the porch light on/off from inside the condo as...
8
8

Granite + pebbles path
Hi, Here's the look I want: I would like granite in place of slate. Does granite come in that shape? Or can I cut it to that shape on a wet saw. Anyway, how would I go about achieving this look with...
9
9

Diamond disks
MY front entry has a white granite slab about 6 feet long and some one area I guess a vein of differnt color causes a black like streak. I thing I need a diamond disk for my drill. What would you...
3
3

Does electric box have to be right next to fixture?
Does electric box have to be right next to fixture? The first electrician (provided by the HOA) who installed a floodlight on my wall didn't use any electric box, afaicr. He just screwed the fixture...
7
7

Some floodlights have shields around the bulbs now.
Some outdoor floodlights have shields around the bulbs now. Is that so that when they are on, and hot, and it rains on them, they won't crack? That's what I figure, but if so, why did it take so many...
7
7

A tile grouting question
Hi all: I assume that the ideal situation when grouting tile is to finish the job in one shot in order to have a more-or-less monolithic "structure" of grout, that is the grout is well-bonded to...
3
3

Can i ask here ?
Did'nt know where to post this,so i'm asking here. I have Verizon & there discontinue News readers. Is there a good free newsreader you can suggest ?
27
27

HVAC rust
My HVAC unit already beginning to develop rust underneath the compressor after only 5 years. Its just a little but it is the first sign. What is the best way to treat this. JImmie
5
5

Does this price seem high
Ac unit on the roof stopped working at a rental house. Called an AC company to go look and fix. $74 flat charge to show up and diagnose - that seemed in line. So they call me back and say the...
37
37