Subject Author Posted Replies

GE Dishwasher pumps out, but no internal circulation/washing
My son-in-law just called me and said their dishwasher is acting up. It is a GE "Quiet Power 3", about 3 years old. It will fill, go thru the washing cycle without any noise from the pump, and then...
2
2

Auto Battery Connection Repair?
Hi, A "friend" managed to strip the bolt-hole for the positive cable connection. Now it'll no longer tighten sufficiently to allow a firm/reliable connection. Is there any reasonable and permanent way...
35
35

Plastic (cpvc) versus copper
I'm interested in opinions of the merits of using copper versus cpvc (other than cost). I recently had a cpvc pipe break inside the wall, and I'm in the process of replacing all of the in-wall pipes...
32
32

Water pipe size questions
The water pipes for my house are mostly attached to the ceiling of my basement (which makes it super easy to get to!). It starts out 3/4", and gets reduced to 1/2". My shower valve has 1/2 threads on...
26
26

Moisture on outside walls
My daughter's new house has a 4 ft. wide wall in the garage, and the wall above her front door entry both get condensate on them when it is cold. Is this an indication there is no vapor barrier there,...
9
9

So Where Are All These Unemployed People?
25" of snow Saturday. The farmer who has been handling snow removal here for the past 33 years didn't even attempt it. Driveway is 660 and steep but he has tackled this much snow before. Called others...
109
109

Need to sharpen Craftsman 18" 40cc chainsaw (4mm 5/32 file)
Need to sharpen my Craftsman 18" 40cc chainsaw and I've never done it before. The manual says to use a 4mm (5/32") round file at 25 degrees but it also shows a guide. Googling, I see utube videos,...
9
9

Karma - Several kitchen plumbing problems
Several kitchen plumbing problems: 1. replace leaking faucet; 2.repair/replace dishwasher; 3. ditto disposal. Ewww! Priority is faucet; don't want rot, etc. problems below the sink. Bought faucet and...
144
144

Deep-Well Advice Needed
Lately, I'm getting some air in the system. I don't get any water if I release pressure from the tire valve on the pressure tank. On pressure is 28PSI off is 48, and the pressure in membrane with pump...
24
24

GFCI Troubles
I recently changed my kitchen receptacles to Pass & Seymour GFCIs. On one circuit, I have a lead receptacle with 2 slaves, each GFCI. The lead receptacle works fine, but if/when I plug anything into...
12
12

breaker size for 6/3 cable
I am putting a subpanel in the basement (Tigard, Oregon). There is already a 6/3 copper cable run down there. This cable will be attached to a breaker in the main panel. What is the maximum size...
2
2

Weight limit of 2X6 attic floor?
I am nearing completion of my attic project. I recently put in an attic stairs and putting in 3/4" OSB plywood for the floor, replacing the old T&G planks I had up there. I live in a split level 50...
18
18

Outlet spacing
In finishing a basement how should electric outlets be spaced ( how far apart )
33
33

Bar grating
Do any of you use bar grating for stair treads? How do you like it? How does it stand up to the elements and rust? I want to make some new stairs at the cabin this year, using some bar grating, having...
10
10

Repair cracked stair tread...
One of the 12" wide treads on our main staircase has an ~18" longitudinal crack in it. As per an earlier thread, the consensus seems to be that these treads are 150 yr old heart pine. Here is a link...
28
28