Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Anti-bacterial soaps - NOT
Here's link to yet another article explaining the downside of the so- called "anti-bacterial" soaps, especially for our children and other vulnerable family members. 're folks who work with our hands...
25
25

What work gloves do you use for heavy infestation of poison oak & ivy (covered in urushiol)?
What work gloves do you use for repeated immersion in very heavy impenetrable thickets of poison oak & poison ivy? I'm covered in black poison urushiol from head to toe! So far, these are the gloves...
72
72

OT -- battery drill external batt pack
Have you ever built a battery drill, using a dead cordless drill, and external battery pack? For a while, I was saving a 12 volt drill that was dead. I save it, becuase I figured I could put a length...
12
12

Can't remove this
I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves in them. What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?
34
34

Refinishing hardwood floor
Hi, I'm going to sand and refinish a hardwood floor that has some dark stains from pet urine. Even after sanding, they remain darker than the rest of the floor. Would bleach help lighten them up to...
8
8

Kitchen exhaust fan.
In the houses from the early part of the last century the kitchens have a chimney in the ceiling for ventilation. It is a simple four cornered five inch deep indentation. I=92m sure most of you have...
8
8

AFCI circuit breaker requirements
My understanding is that under the most recent National Electrical Code (NEC 2008?) AFCI circuit breakers are required for all residential circuits -- not just in bedroom circuits. However, I just...
6
6

SINK PLUNGER REMOVAL
I have 3 bathrooms in my house. Occasionally, I have had to snake out the drains in 2 of the bathroom sinks--no problem--lift out the plunger and snake out the hair. Now, my downstairs bathroom sink...
5
5

garage door opener
Chain, belt, or direct drive? Here we go again, this has been talked about in the past. My 25 year old Stanley bit the dust and I'm going to replace it. I see the various drive types, all have models...
10
10

rotten threshold
Four years ago I replaced the rotten threshold of my back door. I took a plank from a pallet, sawed and planed it to fit, caulked, applied two coats of Thompson's sealer, and painted. Before long, the...
19
19

Cave House For Sale
Forgive me if this was already posted; I didn't see it and thought folks here might be interested in checking it out. It's pretty interesting; lots of great pictures and description.
6
6

install outlet on exterior stucco wall
I like to install an outlet on an exterior stucco wall so that I can put in a fountain. The other side of this same wall is in my garage. There is an existing outlet in the garage right where I plan...
24
24

DC Transmission
Awl -- MB Hydro uses DC for transmission from generator sites to converter stations over hundreds of miles. So I emailed them for a few more details, and they wrote back the following:...
2
2

Getting My Bearings
I've been planning to build a windmill to areate my pond for several years now, more for the fun of the building experience as opposed to really needing it. One of the major problems in designing it...
5
5

Lowe's blows
I have been a homeowner, mostly up North for the past 50 some odd years. My family is in the construction business so I know a little about building and maintenance. I have used Ice Melt on my...
138
138