Subject Author Posted Replies

Best Lubricant for double-hung wood windows in aluminum track?
I have just finished reglazing one of my double-hung windows with new thermopane glass, refinished the wood frame and am now ready to reinstall in the aluminum track. I am thinking WD-40 is not the...
7
7

Wheel Horse lawn tractor wheel slipping
I've got an hold Wheel Horse lawn tractor (probably from the 80s) with a 12 hp engine. I got it about 5 years ago, and except for the problem of mice building nests in the engine compartment, it's...
4
4

submersible well pump
I have a 4" steel well casing, the top 5' of the casing is so encrusted with rust scale that I can't get the pump out. I have tried chipping out the scale but can't get it all. How would a well...
2
2

Cold Patch For Asphalt Driveway
Hi, Have some decent size holes in my old asphalt driveway. Perhaps 8" or so deep X a foot or so long. True holes; not really cracks. Have never repaired anything like this myself. Guess what I need...
3
3

facing of cabinet below sink
this is a fairly new cabinet(s)(approx 2yrs) ....but under the kitchen sink the bottom of the facing which includes both door openings is pulling away or has come loose from where it was at one time...
5
5

Tomato cages
I have 5 ft tomato cages but the plants will probably reach 7 ft and are now falling down. Should the plants be pruned, will this encourage new low growth or limit it, or do I do what I have done in...
24
24

Pin holes
I grab a paint can from the basement to paint a door. After the job I notice a puddle of pain under the can, a trail of paint from the bench and a puddle on the bench. There was enough vacuum in the...
8
8

Estimating/Measuring Hot Water Heater Electrical Usage?
I have a traditional 220 volt electric hot water heater and would like to estimate or measure how much electricity it is using. Suggestions? Has anyone here done this? What results did you find? Are...
22
22

Unsticking a frozen back brake cable
...on a bicycle that hasn't been used in a while. It doesn't look rusty, but that's probably what it is. Liquid Wrench, or WD-40? Bob
61
61

Automatic Pool Water Leveler, Anyone Built One?
In the summer I probably lose 150 gallons a day or so to evaporation with the level falling about 1/4" per day. If it falls below the skimmer level the pump will such air because the bottom drain is...
45
45

installing new toilet over slab
Should I go above the slab with a raised platform or jack hammer out a space to put level with top of foundation slab? I'm going to have to go out through a cinderblock wall if it's above the level of...
6
6

Installing Gas Range
Installation of a gas range requires running a new gas line from the basement utility room to the kitchen, a total of about ten feet. The installation instructions indicate either a 1/2 or 3/4-inch...
14
14

Bona Polyurethane Wood Floor Finish
Has anyone reading this used this Bona? Is it worth the high price? I'd welcome any good experiences or cautionary tales regarding the hardwood floor finishes that are sold by Lowes and Home Depot.
7
7

Brake job on Craftsman Tractor
Subject: 1997 Craftsman garden tractor. 18 horse Kohler engine. Model 917.251492 This beast needs a brake job and it looks to be a real bitch to get to the transaxle housing mounted rotor and pads. It...
10
10

Looking for electric outlet
I want an outlet that i can attach romex to that has blades sticking out. I found this kit but it costs $50.00 If i find the receptcal i can make it myself. I need it to power an LCD TV Where can i...
6
6