submersible well pump

I have a 4" steel well casing, the top 5' of the casing is
so encrusted with rust scale that
I can't get the pump out. I have tried chipping out the
scale but can't get it all.
How would a well repairman get it out?
I have a backhoe and I'm thinking of digging down as deep as
I can and cutting off
the casing. Then put a piece of 5" plastic well pipe in with
a rubber coupling to fix it.
Has anyone ever tried this?
Reply to
Did you get the pump up to that 5ft mark? Normally they are down 70 to 500 feet. If you're just fighting the last 5 feet, you're not doing too bad. A 4" casing is too small to start with. Yes, you could probably cut it off, but you got to avoid cutting into the pump or the supply pipe. I dont think a fernco (rubber sleeve with clamps) would be allowed by law for a well casing. But you could get a piece of steel like the original and have a GOOD welder weld it so it dont leak. If surface water gets in, you wont have safe water. Actually a well driller would have the steel casing and are trained to weld it water tight. Maybe they have a big reamer too, to clean out that rust. Why not have one or more of them come and give an estimate. Another idea would be a very coarse wire brush made for a drill or grinder. Put it on a 5ft. piece of threaded rod, put on nuts and washers, and put the whole device in a drill. Then work it up and down. Of course all this old rust is getting in your water.
Reply to

Site Timeline Threads

HomeOwnersHub website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.