12V under cabinet halogens way too bright

I want to use these for accent lighting, not as task lights. Unfortunately, a dimmer doesn't work with an electronic 'transformer', and a magnetic transformer costs more than the lamps. Could I simply use a lower voltage electronic transformer? If so, how low should I go to get, say, half as much light output?

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

WTF don't you install lower wattage bulbs?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Think I've seen those halogen bulbs from 15 to 50 watts. That's a ratio of 30% to 100%. problem is those halogen are very bright small point sources of light, not really designed for area or 'mood lighting'?

Reply to
stan

Lower wattage is good, however, there are dimmers that can work with the "electronic" transformers. I use one in a TV production truck where it is used to dim 4 20 watt,

12 volt hockey puck lights above the production console. During setup you need bright, but during production we dim them so it's easier to see the TV and computer monitors.
Reply to
Art Todesco

If you are locked in to the bulbs you have, could you use a combination series and parallel wiring? That should be an easy fix.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I painted mine, left a small amount unpainted facing the direction I wanted brighter

Reply to
bluelitt