need dimmable 3x use 50W/12v halogen arrays..

because the bloody things have now BOTH failed in the kitchen. I got some rail things, with electronic transformers on the rail backs, and both have failed leaving the kitchen dim.

May try to fix them, but basically fed up with them!

I may add the reason they are there is because the ceiling is oak beams, and there is no depth to put anything into it beyond wire, so normal single bulbs flush mounted are out. and even remote separate transformers are not particularly good.

I WOULD like to keep to 12v halogen, because we need focussed light, and they are long lasting. Mains halogens are not an option. Hate the things.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

BDC have some stuff such as:

that the kind of thing?

auctions

# Polished chrome finish. # Includes non-dimmable transformer.

So thats NFG for a start

# Size: (Bar LengthxProj.) 530x135mm. # Lamps: 3x20W sealed dichroic MR16 (supplied).

And I want to use but one bulb type (50W) , so thats NFG either :-(

Yes, but it doesn't meet the spec of

-dimmable

-uses 3x50W lights.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Spotlight, surface mounted integral transformer, "dimmable with IQ LV dimmer", lamp cap GU5.3

this what you already have? Microlux track, surface mount transformers
"requires special dimmer"

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Close, but no cigar I want to use standard mains dinmers.

Actually, I fixed the bloody things. Great electronics spoilt by stupid cheapp plastic casing, an almost inaccessible mains wiring connector, and very poor design where the transformer plugs into teh track ends.

Finally my wife reminded me that the first one I had given up on usually responded to a broom handlee bash.

I stripped them both and discovered MASSIVE corrosion where the power supply plugs into the track ends.

So I reversed the tracks and scrapeed all the copper acetate (She had been making chutneys. Vinegar fumes?) off the contacts, hot glued all the smashed plastic bitts I could find back together, and pretty much jury rigged them to work until I can find something better built.

The electronics have been FLAWLESS. its the stupidity of cost reduction in the plastic fitments, and the silly glass retainers for the bulbs that have gone.

I guess since I have two functional slimline dimmable 180W PSUs on boards..I could in theory fake up a box somewhere, and use surface mount fitments without transformers..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wibbled on Friday 01 January 2010 04:22

If it's PSUs you're after, these will work with any dimmer (generally):

friends with different max wattages).

I've had one running on an ordinary (non LV) dimmer for 100W of 12V bathroom lights and it's been fine.

Reply to
Tim W

Y'know. Id bet a bob to a billion, the board in that is identical to what I have. Justa different case.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wibbled on Friday 01 January 2010 13:30

Maybe.

When choosing an LV PSU that's going to live under the floorboards, I'm quite fussy about build quality and things like overload and thermal protection and suchlike. The one I mentioned seemed one of the better units I've come across.

Reply to
Tim W