Replacing 12v halogoen downlighters with CFLs ?

Hi,

Just moved house, lovely kitchen but has 6 x 50W halogen downlighters. I hate the fiddly little things, also the power they use to generate the light they produce is scandalous. Already done some investigation and found they are the 12V variety running off two transformers. 3 lights per transformer.

So I am looking for the easiest option of replacing these with CFLs. I don't really want to start filling holes in the ceiling but I don't mind making the existing holes bigger. So can I get CFLs downlighters or something similar about the same size as the halogen ones? Anybody elese done this?

Thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

You could always try googling for "CFL downlighter" and selecting the first hit which comes up?

David :-)

Reply to
Lobster

I suspect they are all going to be bigger than MR16's. The smallest are R40 and GU10 sizes, which are only a little bigger.

I keep thinking someone will build something based on the HID headlamp technology, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Have you seen the price of that stuff ?!!!!! Heard a story that the "should have been strangled at birth brigade" often gouge them out of the front of the car, controller and all, to fit to their Novas.

Reply to
Mike

Well that's just because it's aimed at a market which will bear the cost. The whole point of them is so other people will see you paid extra (they can't see anything else after all;-)

There's nothing inherently expensive about the lamp or ballast -- cost should be comparable with a standard metal halide lamp and control gear just a little more. They would become much cheaper if the shelves of B&Q were full of them like they are MR16's today.

The controllers are designed to permanently destroy themselves in an accident (so they don't electrocute emergency service workers tending to the injured). Wouldn't be difficult to have them do the same on unauthorised removal, except the manufacturers then wouldn't sell as many of course.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

They are used in stage lighting but are just as expensive there. Perhaps B&Q could do us all a favour.

Don't you mean they SHOULD electrocute on unauthorised removal - far more constructive.

Reply to
Mike