100 off an item for sale?!

I would never say that. I can't imagine anyone saying that. I would say "Three orders of two tacos each" or if all possible tacos orders were of two each, I would simply say "three orders of tacos."

It's not necessary to say something the way they abbreviate it. I also wouldn't say "three eks two tacos."

Reply to
Ken Blake

I'd also never say "three eks".

But I DO hear the "x's" in all three of those order components as "times".

Like you, though, I would say "orders of" to the order-TAKER.

Reply to
Chrysi Cat

There IS a single surviving way of "off" for a quantity that makes sense: "One-off".

But I'd be inclined to have a problem with a NUMERAL as opposed to a written "one" followed by "off" for the same reason as you. At that point it's a reduction.

Reply to
Chrysi Cat

Like the difference between "double egg and chips" and "egg and chips twice".

Reply to
Max Demian

I prfer using the English language correctly to silly traditions.

No need to shout.

Blind stupidity, following old traditions. So not a good reason.

Which is reducing the number of people in the room, so off. Try telling someone to f*ck of. They would ask you what you were going to give them a f*ck of.

I understand that perfectly. That'ss a logical expression. Smaller indicates the direction, 6 indicates the factor.

That's tautological, I can't stand wastage. And in fact I've never encountered anyone stupid enough to say that.

But I have heard "12 in the afternoon". It just isn't! That's like saying you're in the sea because you're sat on the railing of a boat.

Not after having read and replied to all your nonsense, no. Awwwww did you want the last word?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Have you never noticed the vowel sound? Do this out loud: "ooooo, eeeee". No way those could be confused. Hint: 2 goes ooooo and 3 goes eeeee.

Utter morons. What does nine sound like then that they felt the need to use niner?

There are lots of things you could change to doing that would work well, but if the original was fine, why bother?

Because it's incomplete.

If it's anything like my hardware shop, those folk ain't too bright.

I wouldn't use x in there. I'd ask for "30 of M6 x 1.5 x 25", which is just as clear as "30 off M6 x 1.5 x 25", with the added benefit of using the word "of" in the correct way.

Why would that engage your reverse gear?

"My bad" is incomplete.

I speak correct and logical English, not some shit made up by shelf stackers.

You cannot. I only have 23% homebrew. VAT free of course.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What? I want to use of. You want to use off. And you just told me off gets confusing?

That makes it wrong.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Being threaded all the way or part of the way is far less important than if it's self tapping or not.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

And 2 and 3 said in the normal way are so different in sound that you don't need phonetic equivalents for them.

I don't need to learn to fly to know that nine sounds like no other number or letter.

You have yet to show me why it wasn't.

Something being incomplete is objective not subjective.

They probably know things but don't understand them.

The point is I don't need an off to be clear.

It makes me more correct, and I don't end up sounding illiterate.

You've yet to show how a conflict could occur.

It's only used in America, the land of the dumb. We say "my mistake" in the UK. Or "mea culpa" if you're posh.

There are varying qualities of engineer.

More like 900% on alcohol. It may be called something other than VAT.

Although you remind me of a suspicious 20% cash discount at my local garage.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey