Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

cutting 6 acres
OK here it goes... I have 6 acres to cut. Right now I have a 30" cutting deck mower so I only do 2 acres...looking for an old tractor/brushhog combo for about $3500 any suggestions? I live near Dallas...
7
7

concrete slabs
I would like to do a small concrete job. I want to pour 3 slabs that measure 12 in. wide by 42 in. long by 4 in. thick. My question is how many cubic feet are in 1 80 lb. sack of quickrete? Thanks...
3
3

MTD Mower: Can't remove rear wheel axel bolts
I'm not sure I get what the heck is going on here. The rear wheels of my walk-behind MTD mower turn on bolts with a 3/4" cap. The (plastic rim) wheels have become loose, but I cannot tighten nor losen...
8
8

Skag vs Kubota mower. Thoughts please.
We have been looking at purchasing a new lawn mower. These are the 2 Skag Wildcat - Sale price $7800. Gas power engine, 27 horse, 61 inch cut Kubota - Sale price $10,100. Diesel engine, 26 horse, 60...

String Trimmers for mowing grass ?
Which trimmer is best for grass cutting ? I have large areas that are much too steep for a mower, and have to use a weedeater. The string type trimmer that I use doesn't cut grass very evenly. Aren't...
1
1

Ryobi Mower BMM2400 test with 24volt 75 AH battery?
I have recently received an old Ryobi cordless rechargeable mower. I was told the mower works, but it needs a new battery. The correct battery for the mower is a 24 volt 15 amp/hour battery. Before...
4
4

Best concrete for setting locast posts ?
I am building a split-rail fence out of locust rails and posts. The posts will be set about 8 feet apart. I plan to dig postholes about 18 inches deep, and set the posts into concrete. What is the...
24
24

weed and feed disaster!
Help! Someone please! I know this has been discussed somewhere before but I am not finding it. The stuff burned my lawn!

How to find a good landscape architect?
I'd like to hire someone to do landscaping at my home and I don't know the first thing about it. How do I find a good landscape architect? How much can I expect him to charge me for a consultation...

Pruning shears?
Can someone recommend a brand of pruning sheers? I've tried every kind that Home Depot sells and they all fail in one way or the other. The rotating mechanism made of plastic binds up and doesn't...
6
6

Newsgroup for vegetable gardening
Hi everyone, Last year there was a newsgroup for vegetable gardening and it was a pretty big one and a great one. It doesn't seem to exist anymore or at least not on Verizon or APN by Forte. Did it go...
3
3

about the 26C highest germinating temp, of new grass seeds
Well I've got a lot of tiny 1/4" - 3/4" little blades, and I've got a lot of nothing. I am curious how to interpret the "seeds will not germinate above 26C" statement on the bag. Best, 15-26C average,...
7
7

gladiolas
i planted glads years multiplied into a beautiful year the bulbs have turned to mush. a smelly blob of cottage anyone know what happened to my beautiful glads
2
2

leaf mould???
Many of the British gardening resources I have read often refer to "leaf mould" and I have no Idea what they are talking about! Anyone? My guess is half rotted leaves? Karen
1
1

lots of compost questions
So we're in our first home, and we've got a nice sized piece of property. I've got a nice big area at the end of the yard dedicated to composting and general heaping of yard debris, with woods beyond...
14
14