too late for Zoysia in Atlanta?

Have just tilled and prepped my back yard in preparation for seeding w/a heat resistant fescue but am having second thoughts and am thinking Zoysia might be a better choice for my climate. But I've learned that Zoysia takes a while to establish. Can I plant Zoysia from seed now, or is it too late? What about sod? Now that my lawn is dug up I need to plant something, and I'd rather not go through this again next year if the fescue doesn't take.

Also, the fescue seed I plan to plant was purchased in April -- tried to establish it in my (full sun) front yard but it didn't take. Is shelf life going to be an issue? Thanks,

W.D.

Reply to
W.D.

My guess is that it is too late for Zoysia. You have only a month of growing season left and that is slow growing season.

You could sod the zoysia or seed with rye...rye comes up quick, looks great in winter and spring, and will die in summer at the perfect time to overseed with zoysia.

Reply to
Grinch

Can one get zoysia seed over the net? I'm in NJ and there is none at the home centers here. I have a zoysia front lawn and need to fill in some areas.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Zoysia doesn't usually grow well from seed. You're usually better of using plugs or sod to establish a zoysia lawn. When I took out set of 12" pavers a former owner installed for a path I used plugs pulled from other parts of my lawn to fill the gaps. By the end of the season the turf had filled the gaps in both the new and pulled plug holes.

Just be sure you've got enough sun for it. It really does better with at least a few hours of direct sun during the day. If it's pmore than artially shaded then it might not be the best turf to use. I've got a main lawn that's all zoysia and it looks great. But the area adjacent to the curb has too much shade so I've got a fescue there instead.

Reply to
wkearney99

Thanks for the advice, guys. Decided to go with a heat-resistant fescue for now since my back yard has a good bit of shade depending on the time of day. If it doesn't take I'll start over again in the Spring -- perhaps w/Zoysia. Cheers,

W.D.

Reply to
W.D.