Round-up before reseeding?

My front lawn is 90% crabgrass and I'd like to start a new lawn this Fall with either a heat resistant fescue or a heartier variety like Bermuda or St. Aug (I live in Atlanta & get almost full sun). Two questions:

  1. should I just use Round-up to kill everything off first or is a weed-killer a better choice?
  2. Can either Bermuda or St. Augustine be started from seed and what are the pros/cons of these varieties?

Thanks,

W.D.

Reply to
W.D.

I suggest you use a sod cutter and lay down some good soil, rather than use Round Up. If you stray it, you'll need to wait till Spring to seed it.

Reply to
Newsgroup

"I suggest you use a sod cutter and lay down some good soil, rather than use Round Up. If you stray it, you'll need to wait till Spring to seed it. "

Use a sod cutter to re-seed a typical front lawn? What are you smoking? You can use Roundup and re-seed a week later. From a practical standpoint, allowing about 2 weeks works better to allow time for the existing vegetation to completely die off.

Reply to
trader4

Roundup is a fine choice for killing off your old lawn. You need to wait at least a week before re-seeding.

That said, it is very late in the season to re-seed Bermuda in Atlanta (I'm on the northside myself). I'd wait until late next spring to seed Bermuda. I don't think St Augustine comes in a seeded variety, but I could be wrong.

If you're thinking Fescue, go ahead and do the roundup thing, wait a week, till (or rake, or dethatch, or do something to disturb the soil for seed), smooth, and seed. Keep the area damp and you'll have grass in a week or two. Next spring, you'll have a nice lawn.

Personally, I've always found it very hard to keep a decent fescue lawn here. If you use enough pre-emergents to prevent crabgrass and other weeds from taking over, you'll have germination problems when you overseed with fescue, which you need to do every year. Also, fescue is a very fragile grass in this climate. Almost any post-emergent crabgrass product you can name will cause serious injury to Fescue. It's a real catch-22. That's why I'm transitioning to zoysia.

Speaking of which, if you're the patient type, you could seed with Zenith zoysia late next spring. One of my in-laws has it, and it looks very nice.

I'm a fan of sod myself...

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright