Best way to get grass the shade in Atlanta now

Hi,

I have a home in Atlanta. The lawn pretty much torn up because of the work that has been ongoing on the property. Most of the lawn is just plain soil now. The lawn gets little direct sunlight, maybe a few hours a day. I am pretty bad at maintaining a lawn. I'm frequently out of town, so the lawn should be pretty resillient. I've heard three recomendations from sod placed and from this group:

St. Augstine: Good in the shade, but won't handle the winter. I may not be able to instal it now.

Fescue: Good in the shade, but very delicate. Someone who is frequently away may not be able to keep it alive, especially in the summer.

Zoysia: Good year-round and OK for the shade, but may not be able to install it now.

Are there any other options? I really would like to put something down but I can't figure out what to do.

Thanks,

Josh

Reply to
Josh Kalish

[...]

This may not be a grass for you but it sounds so interesting I thought I'd make you aware of it. Seashore paspalum.

Josh Kalish wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky

Is a good place to ask about the type grass for your lawn, but the biggest reason for a poor lawn is lack of adequate water. Take the time and put in a good lawn watering system.

Regards,

Hal

Reply to
Hal

Whatever ground cover you decide on, make sure it's a not a water hog. =

Josh Kalish wrote:

Reply to
J Kolenovsky