Creeping red fescue and Weeds, A newbie that needs help.

I am attempting to plant 15,000 square feet of creepeing red fescue. I have tilled up the soil as recommended (1 inch) and planted the seed with a spreader. The fescue grass is starting to come in nicely but so are the weeds. I have alot of johnson grass coming in right along with the fescue. Is there any chemical I can use to help the fescue along and slow the johnson grass down? It's to large of an area to hand pick although I am trying.

2nd question

I put down the seed in early august because the weather turned cool for a 2 weeks (Oklahoma City) and I thought I would be able to make it till Sept. Now the last week has been in the 90s. I know that I need to water it throughly but my question is will the heat kill the seed or just slow it down.

How long after you plant fescue should you look at the lawn and determine to reseed? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Reply to
KBASSETT

Sorry to say, you need to pull out the weeds by hand. I would not be concerned with broadleaf weeds, but the johnson grass has got to go. Wait until early spring to start treating the weeds chemically.

Bad mistake. It's not so much the heat, but if it dries out you'll kill the young grass. Straw helps.

Reseed the areas that did not take as soon as possible. But, wait until any danger of summer draught has passed. Did you use any "starter" fertilizer? Regular fertilizer may burn.

Reply to
Phisherman