My Back Yard and the Weed Struggle

We bought a new house 2 years ago. They seeded the backyard. Covered it with hay. Of course it was done in October. The hay and most of the seed blew away. I didn't really take care of it like I should have. Well after 2 years, it has become a weed paradise. So I've sprayed it once with total vegetation killer. It took care of most of the broad leaf weeds and clover. Yesterday I tilled the whole back yard. I'm planning on applying another helping of weed/grass killer today after work. I plan on applying Bermuda grass this weekend. So am I on the right track? I have a little push spreader. Would that be okay for seeding? Or should I get a little hand held spreader? Also would it be a good idea to till the ground again before I seed it?

Thanks for any help or suggestions

Greg

Reply to
Greg

The instructions on the vegetation killer should tell you when it's safe to re-seed.

Reply to
Doug G

Reply to
Greg

You're on the right track. If you have a problem with clay, now would be a good time to till in some organic material like peet or mulched trees or leaves. Rent a water-filled drum roller to smooth out the ground before applying seed. You can use it again after seeding to make sure the seeds are making good contact with the ground.

Hydromulching is the most efficient method of putting down seed. You may want to look into that.

Reply to
RoyDMercer

Actually slit seeding is the most effective way to seed.

Reply to
GFRfan

Yes. I was thinking about renting a drum roller.

Reply to
Greg