New to gardening- Help with weed

Hello there,

I have just moved to a house with a garden, which is something new for me. It is in a real state, full of weeds. It has a considerable size (10mx5m) approx. and although we have removed all the weed (we thought from the root) is all come back within days!

We just want a low maintenance garden... just a lawn, no plants, no flowers but we cant get rid of the lawn.

Any suggestions? Id be very grateful if somebody can help me with this.

Many thanks,

Miriam

Reply to
lullaby1979

Any idea where you live?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Concrete. Painted green if you want it to be natural.

David Hare-Scott

Deciphering your request - you want to remove the weeds from an old garden and have a lawn?

Getting all the weed roots out of a garden can be difficult, depending on what the weed is - dandelion and bermuda grass roots cannot be easily removed, and they can come back from just a tiny bit left in the soil.

If you want a lawn - fastest way is one that will set some people here off - spray roundup or similar on the garden and wait 2 weeks to see if all plants were killed, repeat if necessary (bermuda grass usually takes a couple of hits to die). Then ferilize, and do what is called over-seeding with your prefered grass (I usually use Scott's). It will likely take a few years to get a good grass stand. Do realize that weed seeds can wait years to germinate, so you will need to spray something that stops germination in the spring to prevent them from starting. Once you have a good stand of grass, it will shade out the weed seeds on its own.

Reply to
Fran

What evidence is there that the OP known as lullaby1979 lives in the northern hemisphere?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

snipped-for-privacy@gardenbanter.co.uk>

Last two letters.

Reply to
Bill who putters

The only acceptable evidence of location is the OP's typed words describing his/her/its location. I could live in Puerto Rico and post through that web site.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I would say wrong time of year for seed in the northern hemisphere. First cut down the weeds, smooth the area and put down grass sod. You will have to water that every day. Now the weeds will come up thru the sod, but use broad leaf killer when they sprout. apply pre-emergent in spring with fertilizer, but most important is water and cutting the grass frequently with sharp blades. use a mulching mower and you wont need to apply almost any fertilizer at all.

we had a rental with tall weeds in the back yard, wooden fence down that smothered

1/3 swath of the grass, and was a dump area for old broken backyard stuff. In July we carted all the crap out of there, pulled the big weeds, sprayed with broad weed killer, seeded, fertilized and watered every day. by the end of summer it was a VERY nice looking lawn.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

Much ado about nothing.

Reply to
Bill who putters

Not really. If the OP lives in a climate similar to yours or mine (upstate NY), it would be good advice to tell them to deal with the weeds by hand for another 3-6 weeks, while preparing an onslaught of soil prep and seeding. The season is almost upon us.

But if the OP is in a place where grass seed season is NOT coming soon, the approach would be different.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

England, IIRC, has thier grass seeding timing to be similar to mine in NC, which is Sept. Now would be the time to start, which I have prep for, too.

Reply to
Fran

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

Reply to
dr-solo

Actually, right now in NC (a climate in some ways similar to southern UK), it is time to hit the bermuda grass with killer. Early to Mid-Sept is the time to seed, as that's when we get the tropical rains. this gives time for the grass to germinate and grow roots during the winters. Seeding in spring here is chancy at best - the roots have to be real strong to survive the hot summers.

Reply to
Fran